PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Truck Recall - Steering Issue

Festus2
11-09-2013, 11:00 PM
Dodge/Ram owners should note that there has been a recall for a steering system problem (tie rod) issued for Dodge trucks. Models and years affected are: Ram 1500, 2500 and Ram 3500; Years 2003-2012. See recall for specific information regarding which models and years are involved in the recall.

Owners will be notified by mail next month and given instructions on what to do.

If you are concerned and want further information, call 1-800-853-1403.

The relevant NHTSA recall designation is: 11V350000

tileman
11-10-2013, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the heads up ours is a 2010 3500 so Ill look into it.
Do not want to lose the steering :eek:

jodrey
11-10-2013, 06:09 AM
Is since 2007 or so.

2011 keystone
11-10-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks Festus2
Im calling the dealer tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone

hankpage
11-10-2013, 03:55 PM
Thanks, Perfect timing .... something was getting funky in the steering that I could not figure out and I was going to make an appointment at a front-end shop. I guess this is one time my procrastination has paid off. ;)
http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1106

FireMech
11-14-2013, 10:04 PM
It's easy to check the tie rod ends yourself on most vehicles and I recommend this be done before any trip. With the engine off, have a helper shake the steering wheel back and forth using a very short, fast jerking motion. Inspect the tie rod ends and other steering parts for excessive vertical movement. My 2008 Dodge 4500 had a bad tie rod end per the recall. A ambulance in our fleet had the tie rod end break right off as they pulled out of the station.

One of the most important vehicle checks is looking at the sterring and suspension components... especially towing a heavy trailer.

SAABDOCTOR
11-15-2013, 05:58 AM
THANKS Festus. mine are still tight! but all the Ford and GM guys re gonna have fun with this:D:D!

SAABDOCTOR
11-15-2013, 06:16 AM
HOPE THIS HELPS OUT!
Safety Act.
Chrysler has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in some 2008 through
2011 model year Ram Trucks. Also involved are 2003 through 2008 Ram Trucks that had the
steering linkage replaced with Mopar service parts.
The problem is... The left tie rod ball stud on your truck (VIN: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) may fracture
under certain driving conditions. This could cause a loss of directional control
and/or a crash without warning. Also, the front axle track bar bolt torque must
be checked and tightened if required.
What your dealer
will do...
Chrysler will repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). To do this,
your dealer will tighten the front axle track bar bolt, inspect the left tie rod end and
replace it if required. The work will take about ½ hour to inspect and an additional
hour if the tie rod requires replacement. However, additional time may be necessary
depending on service schedules.
What you must
do to ensure your
safety...
Simply contact your Chrysler, Jeep, or Dodge dealer right away to schedule a
service appointment. Ask the dealer to hold the parts for your vehicle or to order
them before your appointment. Please bring this letter with you to your dealer.
If you need
help...
If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please
contact the Chrysler Group Recall Assistance Center at 1-800-853-1403.
Please help us update our records by filling out the attached prepaid postcard, if any of the conditions
listed on the card apply to you or your vehicle. You may also update this information on the web at
www.dodge.com/ownersreg .
If you have already experienced this condition and have paid to have it repaired, please send your original
receipts and/or other adequate proof of payment to the following address for reimbursement: Chrysler
Customer Assistance, P.O. Box 21-8007, Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8007, Attention: Reimbursement. Once
we receive and verify the required documents, reimbursement will be sent to you within 60 days.

If your dealer fails or is unable to remedy this defect without charge and within a reasonable time, you
may submit a written complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,
1200 New Jersey Ave., S.E., Washington, DC 20590, or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at
1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.
We're sorry for any inconvenience, but we are sincerely concerned about your safety. Thank you for your
attention to this important matter.
Customer Services / Field Operations
Chrysler Group LLC
Notification Code L16

Note to lessors receiving this recall: Federal regulation requires that you forward this recal

billb800si
11-15-2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks SAABDOCTOR... I already had my tie rod ends & new front end alignment done and paid for it my self. They replaced a bunch of steering linkage stuff and charged me $1301.00 !!!

I certainly will contact Chrysler about a rebate on this.
Happy trails,

Festus2
11-15-2013, 08:36 AM
THANKS Festus. mine are still tight! but all the Ford and GM guys re gonna have fun with this:D:D!

Barney -

Note that this thread has been active for a few days and not one comment from any member who drives a Ford or GM. We've got more class than to make fun of Ram owners but......... there's still lots of time.....:D

byrdr1
11-15-2013, 08:49 AM
Barney -

Note that this thread has been active for a few days and not one comment from any member who drives a Ford or GM. We've got more class than to make fun of Ram owners but......... there's still lots of time.....:D
(tx)
too funny, but I for sure will not cast stones, I've had my issues this year with my truck and a few others on here have too.
randy"bouncey:

SAABDOCTOR
11-15-2013, 10:45 AM
you would think some one would have said something about driving in circles!!:banghead::banghead: oh wait my DW says i do that all the time may be i should check my own tie rods!!!!

Outbackmel
11-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Appreciate the heads up. Just picking up my Outback tomorrow from CW service where I had wheel bearings repacked and all brakes and wires checked. Prepping for a couple of trips from GA to FL and back.

Ordered new Michelin's for the TV which will be in from the warehouse early next week.

Taking the Dodge in Tuesday for routine oil change. Called the dealer based on this forum info and found my truck has no recalls I have not addressed. BUT, regardless, when I do the service, I am having them check and document tightness of tie rods. Last service I had a full safety check and wound up replacing front brakes. Still had 20% but changed them anyway.

Steering and stopping and no blowouts planned are high on my priority list.

I stated on an earlier reply I was looking to trade my 2011, Outback 5er, 36 ft for a 36 or 37 ft rear living OR possibly a motorhome. Pretty much decided to keep my truck and narrow my search to Montana High Country models because of hitch weight. Looking for the ease of a self leveling system and components in one side door. Getting too old to be crawling around :)

billb800si
11-16-2013, 06:48 AM
I stated on an earlier reply I was looking to trade my 2011, Outback 5er, 36 ft for a 36 or 37 ft rear living OR possibly a motorhome. Pretty much decided to keep my truck and narrow my search to Montana High Country models because of hitch weight. Looking for the ease of a self leveling system and components in one side door. Getting too old to be crawling around :)
==========================
Can't go wrong with the "High Country" line up. Workmanship is much better than the 2007 Jayco Eagle we traded in.
Happy trails,

LittleJoe
11-19-2013, 08:01 PM
From what I have seen/read on the subject, the problem had to do with not having the tierods on the right "plane" when installed from factory and in some instances could cause a bind hard enough to fracture a tierod which might show up instantly where you did it or at a later time going down the road. They basically check for this on recall and if all is good there is no replacement. This recall has been around for quite some time. AFAIK

Pmedic4
12-09-2013, 11:23 AM
Barney -

I have a Dodge truck, but the DW drives a Ford Escape. If you want to find a vehicle with a large number of recalls, look up the Ford Escape! Fortunately the vehicle driven by the DW hasn't been involved in the larger Ford Escape recalls.