PDA

View Full Version : November road conditions on the 101

concours
11-02-2013, 06:39 AM
Can anyone tell us what the road conditions are usually on the 101 in Northern California we are planning a trip down there in the 1st 2 weeks of November

Andymon
11-02-2013, 08:11 AM
Can anyone tell us what the road conditions are usually on the 101 in Northern California we are planning a trip down there in the 1st 2 weeks of November

Usually fine although expect some rain. Sometimes, possible slides. Check ODot's website as they keep it updated pretty well.

floatflyer
11-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Sorry - www.dot.ca.gov
Stupid autocorrect.

CHIEF MK
11-04-2013, 08:31 AM
As mentioned above rock and mudslides are possible. Usually north up by Crescent city, and south of Eureka near Garberville, and then the area just north of the Hwy 1 exit to the coast.

November is usually a rainy one. They have been working all summer and still are on those areas I mentioned.

I've lived here my whole life, and have only been affected by a few slides. The worst was about a year ago that closed traffic all day, but They opened one lane for north a south traffic fairly quick.

Tom and Kim

concours
11-04-2013, 07:27 PM
thanks for the replies, we plan to retire next summer then in mid to late October we will start to make out way south from British Columbia south. We will be in no hurry but plan to be in Hemet be December 1st(tx)

suza
11-05-2013, 08:26 AM

This stretch of 101 is usually not bad during Winter months. My dad used to take this route to our place on the Southern Oregon Coast in Winter to avoid Siskiyou Pass (4,000+ feet elevation). Only once did he encounter snow or ice on the coast route, but it does happen.

If you monitor the road condition sites on the Internet, you'll be fine. Any unfavorable driving conditions are usually not long-lived. As stated in previous post, slides are often an issue. One area of concern is between Brookings and Gold Beach (OR).

Oregon's road conditions can be viewed at http://www.tripcheck.com