PDA

View Full Version : New Duramax

RockyB
09-01-2013, 02:03 PM
I previously owned a Chevy 2500HD with 6.0 liter gas motor and 3.73 rear. We recently purchased a Outback 298 RE which we'll pick up later this month. I was a bit concerned if I "had enough truck"; and many knowledgeable folks here assured me I'd be ok. After much consideration, we decided the extra space of a crew cab would be useful on camping trips and traded yesterday on a 3500HD crew cab with Duramax (SRW). We took the truck out today to break it in a bit and I was pleasantly surprised to get over 18MPG driving about 200 miles.

I've seen some posters mention 15-16 MPG when not towing. The Crew Cab also contributed to a decent ride; despite going to the heavier 3500. The Allison felt very smooth and the truck barely shifted; except on long grades. I think I'll be comfortable towing the 298RE with this set up (planning to use an equalizer hitch).

Dhuhn
09-01-2013, 03:25 PM
I have a 2500 duromax HD and I think the 15 to 17 is more city driving when not towing as if you are highway without towing you can get 18 to 20. I get about 12 pulling my 5er which I'm very pleased with. Enjoy your new truck.

jramsey
09-02-2013, 10:10 AM
Congratulations RockyB! I also just purchased a new Duramax last Friday, it is a 2500HD Crew cab 2014. I think I got a good deal on it but what really matters is that I love the truck so far. I traded a 2010 2500HD 6.0 GMC crew cab. We will see how well these new trucks perform when we get past the break in period.

Drew Waller
09-02-2013, 12:22 PM
You've got the right truck to pull what ever you want now!:)

Bubba777
09-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Post some pictures of that monster

RockyB
09-06-2013, 05:49 PM
gotta figure out how to post pics from the I phone! Thanks all for the words of encouragement!!!

TandE
09-06-2013, 06:40 PM
gotta figure out how to post pics from the I phone! Thanks all for the words of encouragement!!!

If you download the tapatalk app from the app store and use it to surf this forum it will let you upload pics from the iPhone. Congrats on the new truck!

RockyB
09-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Thanks, gonna work on that!

Retiredsorta
09-08-2013, 12:56 PM
I bought my 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax about 6 weeks ago and love it so far. Pull my TT (5800 lbs) 500 miles over Labor Day and got 16-17 mpg in the Texas Hill Country. The big adventure will be in 2 weeks when I leave for a 2 week trip to Durango and Gunnison CO. Enjoy your new truck.

gearhead
09-08-2013, 06:31 PM
We're using a 2011 CMC 2500HD Extended cab 6.0 gasser 3.73 rear end to pull a Cougar XLite 28SGS. King pin 1450 pounds and shipping weight was 7600. Have only made 1 short trip of 150 miles so far. Calculated 8.5 mpg. We are leaving in a few days for a 2,000 mile trip. I'll post what mileage we get. Then decide about a Duramax.

RockyB
09-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Well, we're still breaking the Duramax in with just over 500 miles on the odometer. But, thus far, in mostly stop and go driving we've been getting over 17 MPG according to the DIC. Prior to the 2012 2500HD gasser, we drove a 2005 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9 Cummins TD. We averaged about 19 MPG in similar driving. I had heard many reports the newer diesels were significantly more fuel thirsty so, as you can imagine, I'm pretty pleased.

The Duramax is extremely quiet - not necessarily a good thin since I like a bit more "rumble". I don't even have to turn the motor off at the Dunkin Donuts drive through (as I did with the Cummins and 6.0 gasser with Dynomax exhaust).

We are scheduled to pick up the 298 RE next weekend and now the better half is thinking she likes the Sprinter 331RLS a bit more since the extra 700 lbs shouldn't be a problem.

Any thoughts on the 298RE versus 331 RLS?

Thank you all - I'm enjoying the forums and learning much from your posts.

airforceret
09-16-2013, 05:10 PM
I've got a 2012 extended cab, long bed 2500HD with the duramax and have gotten 22 to 23 mpg on trips running empty, and average about 12 to 14 city (sometimes higher / other times lower). The new 280RLS is pretty heavy and we averaged 12.7 on our recent 600 mile trip (city/hwy) here in Indiana. It does get better mileage when not using the cruise... but is still respectable around 11.5 on average running the cruise at highway speeds in tow/haul mode.

Cnc_hemi
09-16-2013, 05:45 PM
I have a 2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT crew duramax. I love it. I had a 2005 Cummings and this truck is by far a beast, very quiet like you said. I know you will enjoy it. I'm getting 18/19 driving to work everyday in Baton Rouge. And while towing my fuzion in getting around 12. Loaded with our golf cart. As far as what camper you want pick the one that fits you. This I my 3rd 5er and all have there issues. Just make you a list as you use it and bring it in and have them fix your list. Check your roof and all water tight seams after a couple times out. And every couple months after that to make sure you have no leaks. Campers are like homes and everyone has things they like. Just do a good walk through and ask every ? You can think of from slide out over rides, jack over rides, tires, and any moving parts on your delivery. And enjoy camping.

concours
09-19-2013, 05:55 AM
We tow a 2013 331MKS with a 2007 3500HD Duramax with absolutely no problem at all, the 12.7 US MPG is about what we see

RockyB
09-21-2013, 05:09 PM
Towed the 331 home today - about 100 miles. The truck wasn't yet broken in with about 600 miles on the odometer but we averaged about 12-13 MPG towing. The 331 weighs about 8,200 and towing was fairly effortless. Got her home and the driveway where we planned to park it proved to be a problem - a little too tight. In backing the unit in, a slight "hump" at the end of the driveway caused us to bend the rear stabilizer jacks (surprised they are really cheap sheet metal). Ended up parking her in the grass where it's a bit uneven - will spend some time tomorrow parking it properly. But, pleased with the Duramax on the test flight!

gearhead
10-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Report on mileage: 2011 GMC extended cab, 6.0 gasser, 3.73 axle. Pulling Cougar XLite 28SGS. Heavily loaded. From Houston thru LA, MS, TN, KY to western OH. Mileage was 8.1 to 9.1 with the calculus teacher/navigator doing the ciphering. Seriously considering a Chev 3500 SRW Duramax next spring; mostly for the power.

airforceret
10-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Report on mileage: 2011 GMC extended cab, 6.0 gasser, 3.73 axle. Pulling Cougar XLite 28SGS. Heavily loaded. From Houston thru LA, MS, TN, KY to western OH. Mileage was 8.1 to 9.1 with the calculus teacher/navigator doing the ciphering. Seriously considering a Chev 3500 SRW Duramax next spring; mostly for the power.

I made the switch from big gas to diesel in 2012. Would have switched sooner but didn't like the noise or the smell. Both have been minimized on the new diesels running DEF. Sure it adds cost... but the benefits in my mind far outweigh the added costs!

JRTJH
10-16-2013, 08:37 AM
I just bought a gas F250 to tow our new Cougar fifth wheel. I definitely contemplated returning to diesel (I've had two in the past) and weighed the options, I think carefully. Some of the considerations for not going with diesel were the lighter weight of our Cougar (7200 lbs empty), increased cost of the diesel ($8500) and the increased cost of maintenance over a gas engine F250.

We recently returned from a 4800 mile trip and we were on the road for almost a month. The "hand calculated" mileage average for the trip was 8.9 MPG. I was thinking to myself, "DAMN, I should have bought the diesel" and for some reasons, maybe I should have. But, in doing the "break even math" with no consideration to maintenance requirements, smell, availability of fuel, needing to wear gloves to refuel vs smelling like diesel, tracking diesel into the truck at every fuel stop, etc.... Those who have diesels know what I mean.....

Anyway, back on topic: I did the math on both vehicles assuming niether would have any mechanical issues, no maintenance costs involved, strictly a fuel cost consideration for miles driven. Assuming gas averages $3.50 a gallon and diesel averages $4.00 a gallon (about what we saw through the mid states) and mileage is 8.5/gal towing with gas and 11/gal towing with diesel, it would take about 175,000 miles to "break even" or to recoup the extra initial purchase price of the diesel truck.

If I were towing a larger fifth wheel, or on the road enough to tow that many miles in a reasonable number of years, it might be worth the consideration. However, our F150 had 26K miles on it when traded, in the 3.5 years we owned it, that's 7500 miles a year (total miles) and about 8,000 miles towing the Springdale.

So, even if all our miles were used towing, at 7500 miles a year, it would take about 25+ years for me to "break even" with the diesel. (fuel costs in MPG towing).

For me (not for everyone) that's a lot longer than I plan on having any tow vehicle LOL Sure, it would be "nice" to have a diesel when towing (even with the disadvantages of being dirtier) but for the way we use our truck, I'm not certain it would be cost effective or reasonable to buy diesel. Certainly it would be a "neat" truck to have, but I'm not sure that the cost vs the payback is there, at least in my situation.

audio1der
10-16-2013, 12:54 PM
Great, even-minded post, John. and that was purely a fuel comparison without the upfront cost of the diesel, and additional maintenance/DEF costs added in, correct? That would just add to the number of years before breaking even.
Diesel is great for some, but not for everyone, in every case.

JRTJH
10-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Yes Kevin,

The math I did was for the price of fuel only given an average of 8.5 MPG for gas and 11MPG for diesel. I did not include any depreciation, no maintenance costs, no increased price of oil changes or filters, no possible increased resale value, nothing but the price of gas vs diesel. I'd think that in 25 years (the break even point) the resale value of either truck would be pretty much a wash anyway.

gearhead
10-16-2013, 04:06 PM
John I agree 100% on the numbers of gas vs. diesel $. If I could get a Chevy truck with a 502 motor I would probably go that direction. Our 6.0 gasser pulled fairly well in some longer uphills in Kentucky on the interstate, but I was "up on the wheel" for sure. No time for daydreaming. Looking way down the road and planning my moves so I wouldn't get bogged down by a surprise long pull or get caught in a pick by a 18 wheeler.
For you guys that recently bought crewcabs: did you get longbeds or standard? Whichever, would you do it again? I'm thinking 1 ton SRW long bed, giving room for a small toolbox; but dang I don't look forward to maneuvering through mall lots and boat ramps. Has anyone got recent experience in the ride quality of long bed vs. short??
Any input would help!

LittleJoe
10-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Good reasoning of real world conditions but in my neck of the woods the reality is there are considerable discounts on the diesel option coupled with the fact that the diesel option is paid back as soon as you sell your truck at anytime after 4 or 5years. Might also add , that in my experience most diesels will exceed gassers mileage by an even wider spread not towing versus towing in all round driving.

I do agree that if your total mileage driven is low and includes short trips often, and you trade often, a gasser may be the way to go.

One thing I have found that if towing a larger 5th or TT it is easier to refuel with diesel and have room to maneuver at fill stations than to access gas (more often) at tighter fill stations.

Having at least double the size of factory fuel tank is a BIG + in my experience

JRTJH
10-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Littlejoe,

If we were towing over a 10K fifth wheel, I'd have a F250 XLT supercab long bed diesel. That's what I had previously in 93 (7.3L NA) and in 99 (7.3L turbo). Both performed flawlessly, were better than gas in mileage and power and when I sold them, I got back "most" of my investment. I'm definitely not against diesels. Heck if money were no object, I'd have at least one, maybe two <wink> But, given the reality of today's economy, the "stability" (or lack of increases) in retirement income, the uncertainty of the fuel market, the American economy and where it may be headed along with a host of other considerations, budget drives a great portion of my decisions.

It really hit home a couple of years ago when my grand daughter asked, "Grandpa, would you cosign for me to buy a new car?" The reality of having to live on what we have coming in and no longer being able to "work an extra shift" or "see a few more patients" or "add one more surgery to the schedule" to make up the loss if she defaulted hit home. When you look at the reality of living on a fixed income, even if there's more than enough right now, I just don't want to overextend on something that's "nice to have but not necessary"

15 years ago, 20 years ago, it was 'devil may care...buy it, we've got credit" Back then, we had lots of time left in the workforce to earn the money even for some mistakes in judgement. That's no longer our situation and I'd suppose the same is true for the majority of retirees and "near retirees" on the forum.

That reality is what motivated me to do the math, so to speak. Don't get me wrong, we're not "destitute" not even close. We have more than we need and feel very fortunate that we are able to do what we want, pretty much when we want without regard to budget. But there is an end to what's available for the future, and sometimes a choice doesn't include what would be "nice to have" or "the pick of the litter" rather buying what's practical for the situation at hand and being "thrifty" is prudent.

The gas vs diesel topic will be discussed till all is frozen down under, and not everyone will see the other side of the coin even then. My motivation for posting the comparison of fuel costs and payback for the diesel cost was just to put light on another part of the decision making process that some may not have thought about.

ktmracer
10-16-2013, 07:33 PM
at one time the power advantage of the diesel over gas was pretty signficant, and diesel fuel cost much less.

Now the fuel cost advantage is gone, and to a large extent the power advantage as well.

so, I agree, trying to justify a diesel on economics, or a huge towing advantage doesn't really pan out anymore. It's really a which do I want, pick one.

I love our duramax, would buy a diesel again, but its personal preferance, not economics or any big towing advantage.

outrider
10-18-2013, 06:02 PM
Hello Rocky, I too have a new Duramax but 2012 with 249 miles. I LOVE it. My fourth diesel. GMC Detroit, Toyota 4cyl, Chev suburban Detroit. This one is leap years ahead. The best driving vehicle I have ever owned. You do have to be aware of where you buy your fuel. WIth one, I get 19+ consistantly. With another 17.5 and with a third 18.5. I have been playing with shifting by the RPM gauge and seem?? to do better esp at low speeds. Anyone else trying this?

Enjoy your truck Rocky!:)

LittleJoe
10-19-2013, 10:45 AM
JRTJH

I fully understand your reasoning and you put it very well. I too am approaching time where a lot of "other" things have to be considered as room to wiggle out of a bad decision is growing smaller.

byrdr1
10-20-2013, 04:55 PM
JRTJH

I fully understand your reasoning and you put it very well. I too am approaching time where a lot of "other" things have to be considered as room to wiggle out of a bad decision is growing smaller.
At what age does this approaching time begin? I am serious with this question. I work in healthcare and we are seeing the hits big time this quarter. 2014 is gonna be fun!😱
But I want, but don't need a new truck. So this is on my mind.
Thanks
Randy

Randy Sent this!!

2014Fuzion300
10-20-2013, 05:45 PM
I have a 2008 2500 HD Duramax with the Allison transmission and I have no problem at all pulling my 2014 Fuzion 300 at around 10,000 pounds loaded. My miles per gallon are a little bit harder to calculate since I lifted the truck and also changed to a bigger tires. But it is around 12-10 miles per gallon pulling and 15-16 when not.
LOVE the 665 lb-ft!

Sent from my iPhone.

JRTJH
10-20-2013, 05:47 PM
At what age does this approaching time begin? I am serious with this question. I work in healthcare and we are seeing the hits big time this quarter. 2014 is gonna be fun!��
But I want, but don't need a new truck. So this is on my mind.
Thanks
Randy
Randy Sent this!!

5 years before we planned to retire we started living on what we anticipated would be our retirement income. The remaining income we put into investments. We learned to live "frugally" but still had enough to do what we truly wanted. Once we retired, we found that the expenses associated with employment were no longer there and we actually had more money than we expected to have.

To answer your question about "when that age creeps up" for us, it was about age 50. We realized our debt load, calculated how long it would take to have a zero debt balance and started looking for ways to get OUT of debt. You can't (at least we couldn't) take on a 50K debt for a new truck and "somehow" manage not to have to pay for it.... So, we started thinking along the lines of being "reasonable" rather than getting "anything we wanted" and so far, we've found that it seems to work LOL

That's why I'm driving a gas F250 rather than a diesel. If I got what I wanted, it would have been a diesel, but rather I got what I needed..... If we'd have bought a larger fifth wheel..... then it would have been diesel, not because we wanted it, but because we'd have needed it....

Others may have different views, but this is what has worked for us.

Oh, and I was (am) in health care also.

SAABDOCTOR
10-21-2013, 08:11 AM
AND THAT IS WHY I HOPE NOTHING BAD HAPPENS TO MY DIESEL. I HAVE REACHED THE BREAK EVEN POINT IF I HAD TO DO IT AGAIN I WOULD BE DEAD BY THEN. GREAT POST JOHN!!:cool:

JRTJH
10-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Barney,

It seems I find myself asking the question, "Will I be able to use this enough (before I die) to justify the expense?" and "Will I be able to pay for this before I kick the bucket?" more and more lately.

It seems "foreign" to me to think along the lines of, "I'll be 86 when this is paid for"

What ever happened to the days of cars being financed for 36 months and most consumer loans being 24 months? Nowdays, I've started seeing car financing for 84 months. That's 7 years.... Just one day less than an "EON" :eek:

You see more and more "news reports" of people that are nearing "retirement age" who suddenly realize that they don't have enough money to retire and they "reluctantly report the sad news" that they can't retire when they expected to because they don't have enough money saved. It's unfortunate they are in that situation, but realistically, "devil may care" enjoyment of life (buying expensive things they really don't need) is a big contributing factor in causing that situation for many people. Sure there are those who can afford it and unfortunately, there are probably many more who "try to afford it" and wind up working until they're 70 or older before they get out of debt and can afford to retire.

I'm just relating that sometimes, for many "middle income" people, buying the "biggest and baddest" may not play into the game plan as well as staying realistic. Sort of like: Who needs a dually F350 diesel to tow a pop-up camper? Sure, it'd be "nice" but "necessary"???? Saving the $30K by getting an F150 rather than that F350 could make a difference. That money may come in really handy when you're 65 and trying to figure out how to retire.

2014Fuzion300
10-23-2013, 04:18 AM
When I bought my truck diesel was cheaper than gasoline....:-(

Sent from my iPhone.

JRTJH
10-23-2013, 05:18 AM
Yes, me too, 2014Fuzion300. When I bought my first diesel, gas was 39 cents a gallon and diesel was 24. Two months later, gas was 39 cents a gallon and diesel was 44. Just my "luck" and it's never stopped going in the wrong direction :(

I well remember the days when Conoco Conotane was 19 cents a gallon and diesel was 11 cents. Of course back then, hamburger was 3 pounds for a dollar and bread was 29 cents a loaf too.....

We bought a new Chevy Vega GT in 1972 for $1800, and our 72 Dodge D200 was $3600. Our 26' Airstream (a new 68 model "leftover" cost $6200 in 1970) and our 20' Jayco Jayraven listed for $2800 and we paid $1900 "out the door"

Those were the days, but I'm afraid they're gone forever :(

davidjsimons
10-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Yes, me too, 2014Fuzion300. When I bought my first diesel, gas was 39 cents a gallon and diesel was 24. Two months later, gas was 39 cents a gallon and diesel was 44. Just my "luck" and it's never stopped going in the wrong direction :(

I well remember the days when Conoco Conotane was 19 cents a gallon and diesel was 11 cents. Of course back then, hamburger was 3 pounds for a dollar and bread was 29 cents a loaf too.....

We bought a new Chevy Vega GT in 1972 for $1800, and our 72 Dodge D200 was $3600. Our 26' Airstream (a new 68 model "leftover" cost $6200 in 1970) and our 20' Jayco Jayraven listed for $2800 and we paid $1900 "out the door"

Those were the days, but I'm afraid they're gone forever :(

By those figures, everything can be multiplied by right at ten.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

jw99
11-08-2013, 08:27 PM
I have a 2011 F-250 6.7 diesel pulling a Cougar 327RES. I haven't ran across scales to determine the loaded weight, but the unloaded spec is 10,160 lbs. Just returned from a trip to the coast. Mileage was 11.6 mpg according to the on-board computer. Typically I get 19.1 without pulling the 5'er.

I definitely agree with an earlier posting that an advantage of diesel, is that you typically have more room to maneuver at diesel fuel tanks. I previously had a gas motorhome and I found myself in some rather tight gas fill stations.

ksbowman
11-09-2013, 06:22 AM
I had never owned a diesel until a year and a half ago. Always told myself they weren't worth the extra money. Then we had a big drought and I had to cut the cow herd back quite a bit. My old 3/4 ton, gas 5.9, 2001 Dodge had 265,000 on it and I knew that sooner or later it would need to be replaced so now was a good time. The government would grab a good share of the cow money if I didn't reinvest it in the farm so I started watching craigslist. I found a 2005 Dodge 3/4 5.9 diesel, equipt just like I wanted with 47,000 miles( guy had kept it in a shed and rarely used it) The greatest investment I ever made in a truck. It gets 22 mpg empty and my old gas never got better than 13-14 mpg! It has so much more pulling power it is shocking. Drags my Outback or a full stock trailer like there is nothing back there. I wouldn't go back to gas to pull with or for a daily driver.

bennettommyd
11-16-2013, 08:05 PM
Well guys all this talk about new trucks. Yep got me one and it was her idea. 2014 GMC Sierra 3500HD DRW, 6.6TD, Metalic Moca color, Tan interior and all the bell and whisles. I have added AMP Research electric retracting steps and their bed step (cause I'm short), color matched linex bed liner, Pullrite ISR Series Super 5th - 16K and a Back Flip bed cover that folds back when I'm towing. I've only towed locally just to get the feel of the Monty and check the level when towing. I love it and can't wait till our first trip at Thanksgiving.

Now I do have a question. I went to check tire pressure on the rear duallys, what an adventure. Does anyone with a dually have the valve stem extenters installed?

LittleJoe
11-19-2013, 08:05 PM
I use them. Got them at Genosgarage.com Good quality and price. It is a Dodge only webstore but they might sell some to ya:D
Make sure you have steel valve stems though. Much easier to air up or down for requirements