PDA

View Full Version : TPMS works!

diugo
08-30-2013, 04:32 PM
My TireTraker TPMS alerted me yesterday that one of my trailer tires (one of the 3 y/o OEM Power Kings) was below 50 psi. Sure enough, it had developed a slow leak. I re-inflated it to 65 psi, and an hour later it was down below 50 again. So I swapped it with the spare and was able to complete a 600-mile trip.

Without the TPMS, it likely would have self destructed like another one did this spring. Now it will do nicely as the spare, until I replace it with a Maxxis this winter.

EricLynnAllison
08-30-2013, 05:34 PM
I love my TPMS. I'd be afraid to pull without it. There's no way I would no about a tire failure without it.

LZScout
08-30-2013, 06:58 PM
I have the TireMinder TPMS. Last time I picked up my Alpine from the dealer, I got a mile down the road and the TPMS went off, showing pressure in one tire down to 35 lbs from 80! If I'd have turned on the freeway, I'm sure it would not have been pretty. I filled the tire, got home, and diagnosed a slow leak two days later. As far as I'm concerned, the TPMS paid for itself.

Sent from my iPhone using TapaTalk

TomHaycraft
08-31-2013, 02:00 AM
Agree with all the above! Of the various upgrades and add-ons I've purchased for the trailer, the TST 507 TPMS has provided the most piece of mind and satisfaction.

Randy_K
08-31-2013, 06:57 AM
First I have heard of this. Any links to info and where to buy?

LZScout
08-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Here is a link to the system I bought:

http://www.minderresearch.com/tire-pressure-monitor-systems/

I got the best price on it through Camping World, since I'm a Good Sam Club member. I had one sensor that kept reading high. I called Minder Research and they sent me a new one right away. Their customer service is great, answered every question I had.

alien_scones
08-31-2013, 02:14 PM
There may be a competition between TPMS systems, but in my book, the outstanding customer service of TST wins hands down.

http://www.tsttruck.com/

abneynormal
08-31-2013, 04:53 PM
the tire minder seems good but the tst system monitors pressure and temperature. im looking to buy a system for Christmas http://www.tsttruck.com/RV_Tire_Systems.html

LZScout
08-31-2013, 06:27 PM
My TireMinder system also monitors temperature and pressure.

diugo
08-31-2013, 06:45 PM
Any TPMS will do the job and provide enormous peace of mind---particularly if you have experienced a flat on a trailer tire before. Some systems will require a signal booster if your trailer is long.

All the TPMSes mentioned also report tire temperature, but it's a joke because all the sensors are stem-mounted. It's like using skin temperature instead of body temperature. If you want accurate temperature reporting, you need internal sensors.

I liked TireTraker's $219 price, its 3-year warranty, and the lightest sensors on the market---better if you have rubber stems on your tires.

The TireMinder is a more expensive clone of the TireTraker, but with only a 1-year warranty. The manufacturer's web site says it's out of stock.

The TST 507RV is quite popular, so it used to be ridiculously priced; now at $239 it's finally competitive. Only 2-year warranty though, and the heavy flow-through sensors will make quick mincemeat out of flimsy rubber stems. (You can also get the $239 kit with normal sensors but you have to shop carefully.)

T11ravis
09-01-2013, 06:48 AM
TST is a great product but I wouldn't use rubber stems no matter which model you choose.
See my post (#14) : http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12449&page=2

Have used it since that trip (with metal stems) and it worked fine.

Edit: Didn't mean this post to be a Debbie Downer, sorry if it comes across that way. I am a believer in TPMS and am very happy with the TST product otherwise. Just wanted to give an FYI to the rubber stem folks out there...

pjhansman
09-02-2013, 12:14 PM
+1 for the TST 507 system.

Installed one at the start of the season and it has worked flawlessly for almost 10k miles.

Now that I've tried it, I wouldn't tow without some kind of monitoring.....the peace of mind is worth every penny. :)

diugo
09-02-2013, 02:22 PM
I wouldn't use rubber stems... Just wanted to give an FYI to the rubber stem folks out there...

There are two kinds of rubber stems---high pressure and low pressure. 65psi is the cutoff. The low pressure stem is all rubber, whereas the high pressure stem has brass under the rubber, and is thus much more rigid. Not too surprisingly, my Cougar came with the flimsy low pressure stems.

When I replaced two of my Power Kings with Maxxis, I wanted metal stems installed, but the shop didn't have any. The local NAPA store had some, but the external nut could not be properly tightened in the deeply-recessed OEM alloy rims.

Not wanting to buy new rims, I had to opt for the high pressure rubber stems. I checked with TireTraker, and they feel they are rigid enough for the lighter sensors. I have driven 5000mi so far this summer, and the high pressure rubber stems have yet to fail.

Jager
09-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Well in the half dozen days I have been on this forum I sure have learned a lot. I didn't know they had these systems that could be added onto campers and RVs so easily. Very nice. This will be one of the winter modification I'll be doing.

Thanks everyone for the posts on this.

concours
09-07-2013, 07:27 AM
We have a Tire Minder on a 36.5 foot trailer and a long box ext. cab and don't need a booster, I understand that the booster is needed for Semi Trailer applications. We have used ours for a year now and it works great