PDA

View Full Version : Earliest Camping Memory

ctpd814
08-25-2013, 08:10 PM
I was setting in a zero gravity chair earlier today at our camp site. My feet were up and eyes closed and I began to think about how I got to this point in my camping life. I then began to think of my first camping memory.

I was about 6 yrs old. My mother, younger brother and I went with my grandparents on a camping adventure. We piled in my grandparents motor home and headed north. We were headed to the U.P. I wasn't sure where this was, but it was going to take a few hours to get there. Then came the first big memory, crossing the Mackinaw Bridge. I remember being called to the front and seeing it looming on the horizon. It was amazing. As we reached the half-way point, I could not believe how far up in the air we were. Our journey continued until we reached Curtis MI.
My mom, brother and I stayed in a tent outside of my grandparents motor home, at least for the first night. The old green canvas style tent with the wooden poles. I can still smell it. When we got up the next day, a worker from the park came by to make sure we were not leaving any trash or food out. Why? young inquisitive minds wondered. A bear had been in the campground the night before. We stayed inside the motor home from then on.
I also saw the biggest bluegill of my life. My grandfather caught it. He kept it in his freezer so that when he told the story he could show people. I don't recall the size, but to this day have not seen anything like it.
It has been over 35 years since this time but still remember.

What's your earliest camping memory?

05kzep241
08-25-2013, 08:47 PM
When I lived in Mexico I went camping with 3 cousins and we had a blast. A year later I bought a tent and my then girlfriend (now wife) and I where always planning on going camping but never did. A couple of years later I moved back to the US and then got married. Work got the best of us and we forgot about all the dreams we had when we were dating, because we had to work to have money for bills, mortgage, etc, etc. Last year, after my wife donated me one kidney, we sat down and erased all plans and decided to change our lives. We went to Kmart and bought a $25 dollar tent and a few goodies, packed the truck and started driving to the UP (we live in Michigan too). We camped in the Lake Superior campground, which is on the Lake Superior shore, about 40 munutes east of Grand Marais (Pictured Rocks). It was the best night ever, sleeping to the sound of the waves crashing against the rocky shores, the wind blowing the tree leafs...

Kidney transplant aside, that night completely changed our lifes and since them we upgraded to a 25 ft travel trailer and we use it as much as we can.

Actually we are planning for a week vacation to the UP the week of labor day, weather looks very promising.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

richf28
08-26-2013, 12:59 AM
I was around the age of 7 when my parents bought our first tent. It too was the heavy green canvass with wooden poles and the musty smell. The outing was a family reunion at my grandparents farm in the Allegheny mountains of Pennsylvania. It was Labor Day weekend and all my relatives also had tents of all different sizes. I remember my uncles. It was so large you could put everybody else's inside it. Cooking was done on white fueled Coleman stoves and a campfire. The smell of bacon cooking in the morning and pork chops at supper was a rememberance too in itself. Shortly after I was camping with the Boy Scouts . "Oh the good ol days"

Randy_K
08-26-2013, 05:22 AM
I remember camping when I was around 5. I remember the smell of the old canvas tent. My Mom has tons of old photos of those years. The one cool one is when my parents were camping with friends. I am standing beside a crib with a cute baby girl in it. That girl is now my wife. I don't lie when I say I have known my wife as long as I can remember.

Too bad more people don't remember the times they did stuff together rather than what material things they did and did not have. My parents did not have much money but we did a lot of camping on a cheap budget.

Randy

jsmith948
08-26-2013, 05:47 AM
Well, this is really a great thread! In a 1952 Mercury - 4 door-black-flathead V8 with an OD 3 speed manual. We had a set of green canvas tents that Sears sold - two cabin tents and a 'kitchen tent that attached to the trunk of our car. Coleman white gas stove. I remember the huge (to me - I was 5)steel ice chest that we carried - hardly any room inside as it was all insulation and the galvanized, insulated water cooler. We traveled for two weeks that summer along the Skyline Drive in the Smokey Mountains.and on into the Carolinas. Camped on Mt. Piedmont during the worst thunder and lightening storm I can ever remember. Good times:)

davidjsimons
08-26-2013, 06:34 AM
I was about 6 years old. We went camping in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. My father had a Dodge D-100 with a truck camper mounted in the back. I saw my first real bear on that trip and caught a rainbow trout on just a stick with some line and a hook and a piece of corn.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

chris199
08-26-2013, 09:22 AM
I was in my early 20's. My wife and I had been married for about 5 years. She suggested we try camping. Our daughter was 4 years old. Our son was 2 years old. We camped at Pennsylvania Power and Light campground in Lancaster Pennsylvania in an overflow area. Well it rain cats and dogs. We were in my father in law's old canvas tent that I'd spent hours and hours sealing prior to our trip. Needless to say water was coming in from the bottom, in from the of sides and dripping from the top. We had trash bags of clothes on the floor. It was dark and wet.

I can still hear my daughter asking me "Daddy, do you know what I want to do? I just want to go home Daddy. I just want to go home." We left the tent there and headed off to find a motel for the night...got a new tent and tried again.

Our daughter is now 32 and still camps with us a lot.....so no permanent damage done..lol.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

chris199
08-26-2013, 09:23 AM
Sorry...tried to edit my post and generated a new post by mistake. Couldn't delete the bad post.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cougarfamily
08-26-2013, 03:23 PM
My earliest memory involves blood and crying. When I was a youngster in the early '70's, my parents had rented a camper on the lake in Kansas that would go on to be our favorite place to spend summer weekends. For some reason, I was climbing the stairs quickly, and I tripped. I did a face plant on the sharp edged metal door frame. Did the trick pretty well of cutting my forehead and chin.:(

Needless to say, it had no effect on the lifelong bug I have had for camping. I am trying to instill that in my young one as well.:)

richf28
08-27-2013, 03:01 AM
I also remember the last time I camped in a tent. Married with three sons and we were camping at Darien Lake park on a Father's Day weekend. It rained so hard that Saturday night! I remember our one son waking up and saying in the dark. "I'm getting wet". Sure enough. Water was going through the tent like a river. Spent the rest of the night putting things up high and curling up in the truck for some sleep. That week the tent was sold and a new popup camper was bought.

byrdr1
08-27-2013, 06:19 AM
Nice thread.
My dad was career US Army so we had a tent, a Coleman stove and a lantern. We lived in SC, GA, NC and FLA most of my dad's career. So the Smokey Mountains were my dad's favorite place to go camp along with few of the Corp lakes. BUT my earliest camping trip that I still remember was Cherokee, NC camping beside a creek. MY dad had an olé' B&W TV hooked up so we could watch man walk on the moon. He brought it just for that reason, he said this was something we did not need to miss. So we watched the B&W fuzzy TV as we heard Neil Armstrong say those words, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
Thats my earliest memory of a camping trip, We camped like that for years. At Lakes, public and private campgrounds, in tents, several older popups the kind that folded out the metal tops and it had a popup style tent. A slide truck camper box for an Datsun pickup pulling a 15' boat. Dad bought that shell, he and mom outfitted it to camp. She sewed the cushions and dad made all the furniture to use it right. We had that when he retired and then back to a tent they went with cots and air mattress.
So thats where my love camping came from, but it took me a while to get my wife to camp many years really but the last going on 12 years we have moved from tent to popup, popup to used TT, used TT to new TT, TT to our 5th wheel we have now. MY kids have been camping with us since that time. My oldest and her husband have a brand new 5er with their son camping with them. My youngest has gone to college in the mountains of NC because she loves them from our camping there. My son regularly camps with friends of his in a tent ...plus his time in the military.
AHH the memories...
Thanks guys and gals,
randy

Carmen D
08-27-2013, 06:50 AM
1969 we lived at Whidbey Island, WA. My father was in the Navy and during the summer a few Navy families would get together and camp out on some of the islands. The parents had 4 boats loaded with supplies and after the long haul out to the closest island it started to rain, all the tents were still erected and we still had a campfire with hot dogs. There was no way the parents were going to let a little rain, rain on our parade. In our family there were 4 kids, everyone of us still love to camp out. None of us own a boat but love the luxury of a Travel Trailer. What an adventure!

Thanks for making me think back to great adventures, Carmen

suza
08-27-2013, 01:14 PM
Seems a lot of Forum members have memories of the infamous "green canvas tent", myself included :) My first camping recollection was, at the age of 5, going to Big Basin State Park in the redwoods near Santa Cruz, CA. I slept on the ground, in the musty smelling, canvas tent, on a blue and white blow up plastic swim raft. I remember the Colman lantern, cooking on a camp stove, feeding the deer and the aroma of redwoods on a warm summer day. The smell of redwoods is now engrained in my brain, as we eventually moved to Felton, nearby, where I spent the next 12 summers.

Camping just isn't what it used to be. But, then, neither is anything else :D

Andymon
08-27-2013, 02:39 PM
I was maybe 5 years old. We loaded up the 56 Buick with the tent and everything else. Left about 4 in the morning and drove nonstop to Medicine Bow National Forest in southeast Wyoming. It was beautiful. We went there every year. When I was 6 I feel in the creek and thought I was a goner. One year it snowed during the night. the ranger came by in the morning and had my mom and I go up to his trailer and make breakfast while he and my dad got everything together. We had to make a big detour north as the pass was closed.
Went via Thermopolis and then on to hell's Half Acre. It was a great trip! I remember once hiding a can of soda in the creek beneath some rocks hoping it would be there the next year...it wasn't.

Randy_K
08-28-2013, 05:24 AM
I'm just sitting outside watching the rain and having my coffee while thoroughly enjoying this thread. THANKS!

How about a few old old photos of camping as a kid, there has to some photos of the old canvas tents around.

Randy_K
08-28-2013, 05:32 AM
I'm not sitting outside watching the rain and having my coffee while thoroughly enjoying this thread tents THANKS!

How about a few old old photos of camping as a kid, there has to some photos of the old canvas tents around.

geo
08-28-2013, 10:15 AM
My parents never camped. I started camping while in high school in a $6 pup tent from OTASCO (Oklahoma Tire and Supply Co.) with a surplus wood cot. From there moved to the "student" camping while majoring in geophysics in college - anything from rolling out the sleeping bag next to the road to rickety old wood cabins outside of Canon City, CO.

The "real" camping experience I should tell is about my DW's first camping experience! She had never camped before in her life. And it was time to do research for my Masters. We headed off to Chaco Canyon National Monument in late May 1974 in an Opel Stationwagon pulling an old used pop-top which held a Cushman SuperEagle, a 9x12 tent, and a 10x10 awning. We camped in the Chaco campgrounds for a few days shy of 8 weeks - 60 miles from the nearest ANYTHING. Drinking water - we either begged off the reverse osmosis unit from the NPS or hauled 60 miles from Farmington. At least we were camped next to the flush toilets! But no showers. Oh, did I mention we had our 2 year old daughter with us? DW and DD kept themselves entertained by visiting with the NPS residents and helping. One week, DW and DD went into Farmington at least once a day, Crownpoint several days, and didn't drive the Opel a single mile! High temps in the 105+ range and lows in the 60s. This time period was the last big "dig" at Chaco, so there was a lot of activity and plenty of archaeologists (and stories) around! (Note: never ask an archaeologist to dig a barbeque pit!)

We still laugh and recall the good times we had! A far cry from the fiver we now call home!

Here's a picture of the campsite. The signs were "rescued" from the burn pile. Twice a week, NPS would hold an evening talk at Casa Rinconada and have a fire. They used primarily the old signs and dead juniper wood.

And can you believe it, though she still shakes her head and says she had no idea what she was getting into, we are still quite happily married after 42, almost 43, years! :D

Ron

ctpd814
08-29-2013, 10:46 AM
Great stories. I find it amazing that many of us started in a similar fashion even though some started in the 50s and some many years later. Thanks for sharing. I know there are photos of our first trip but finding them is another story (still trying).

suza
08-30-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm not sitting outside watching the rain and having my coffee while thoroughly enjoying this thread tents THANKS!

I know I have some pics of me camping at Big Basin. I might have one of the canvas tent.

LM3929
09-05-2013, 08:59 PM
My earliest memory is travelling in a 49 ford 2 door Coupe that was pulling a homemade 18? foot travel trailer and staying in Larrabee State park in WA

LM

patm
09-06-2013, 05:02 AM
In 1963, I was camping with my father's family - 25 in all - in surplus army tents at Wildwood State Park on Long Island, New York. My three sisters and my two cousins sleep in one tent. This tent did not have a floor so we sleep on old army cots. Every morning we would all wake to the sound of chipmunks running through the tent and the smell of bacon on the Coleman stove. The simple life and any happy memories. :rofl:

danimal
09-06-2013, 08:08 AM
It was 1968 in a 1966 Chevy Impala somewhere in Wisconsin to go fishing. We lived in suburban Chicago. Yep, green canvas tent with a red canvas top and external aluminum poles, Coleman camping stove and lantern. Didn't take long for a new tent to smell musty. Unfortunately, more of the vivid memories include heavy rain during these trips as well as "don't touch the sides because it will leak". Well, it still leaked anyway. My dad hand built a canoe from plans (fortunately, not in the basement as we know that joke) which was subsequently slapped on top of the Chevy for trips. Yeah, he's a DYI guy which made me a DYI guy.

We graduated to a Starcraft pop-up aroud 1970 and went to the Smokey Mountians, Black Hills, Cape Hatteras, Washington DC, Disney World among other places. I guess you could say camping and fishing is im my blood.

Randy_K
09-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Could only find one photo in colour. I would guess this was in the late 60's . ( man I feel old ) Check out the trailer that my Dad built. Tents and chairs inside and fold down kitchen on one side and pantry on the other.

Randy

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_94927_0_8eacc54b44475879b704a6da92f4fd5a.jpg (http://s483.photobucket.com/user/TE450Pilot/media/Picture110_zpsd1c1bab4.jpg.html)

suza
09-13-2013, 11:38 AM

No luck, yet, finding old pics of our canvas tent. But, we did see someone camping in one at Silver Falls SP a few days ago. I felt funny about taking a picture, but I do believe I got a whiff of that "musty canvas tent smell" as I walked by "bouncey:

ctpd814
09-13-2013, 12:58 PM
I haven't had any luck either. I spoke with my grandmother. She thinks she may have some pics of the trip. She is looking also.

Rusty
09-13-2013, 01:17 PM

The whole fam damily loads up into the what I believe was a early 60's Pontiac, and hitched up a pop up canvas tent trailer and drove east, east towards New Brunswick.

We camped on the beach in Cap-Pele NB and visited family and ate tons of lobster and dug thousands of clams which hardily consumed by the campfire that night!

The tent trailer was rather small but the all 7 of us had a grand time in it, a long as you didn't touch the canvas, most times we would touch it to set dad off! :-)

Most times while growing up in Southern Ontario we would pile everybody into what ever vehicle dad had patched together and head up to Sauble Beach.

Funny thing a couple of years ago my brother was visiting us and we went to Nanton just south of Calgary, we were in a Antique store rummaging around in the basement and damn did we see a felt pennant from Sauble Beach!!!!!!!!! I grabbed it and it is sitting in the man-cave in a cheap frame.

Some awesome memories from oh so long ago!

After 7 years of camping while in the Army I moved up to do 18 years in the Air Force and I always said that if I take up camping again it will not be under canvas! Since then we have moved on to our 4 th 5th wheel........this one is our fave!!!!

JeffS
09-20-2013, 10:17 AM
When we were first married we got the bright idea to go camping. So we bought a 2 man mountain tent on sale, it was bright orange & blue canvas tent that apparently no one wanted, plus 2 sleeping bags and air mattresses. Threw it all on the luggage rack of the MGB and headed to Houston Woods State Park (Ohio). Since rain was in the forecast I tied my old Army poncho between a couple trees to enable us to get out of the tent without immediately stepping into the rain. Late that night, after the rain stopped, my wife slipped on her robe and tennis shoes to head over to the restrooms. Once out of the tent she stood up and all the COLD rain water that had accumulated in the poncho ran out the head hole and gave her a good shower. To make matters worse some idiot, that would be me, made a crack that it must be “wet nightie night”. After 46 years of marriage I still don’t think she has forgiven me.

sfraige
09-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Not technically a 'camping' memory but it was my first memory in a tent! I was at my cousins house in CT for a birthday party. When they have parties it's always like 100 people, but they have a huge yard and whoever come from out of town stays over. The parents/adults get bedrooms and any pull out bed; the kids get the basement floor. Earlier that year they got a 14 person tent or something crazy like that, and all the cousins pitched the tent (on a hill) and we all squished on with a bunch of pillows, sleeping bags and blankets. The next morning we all woke up on top of each other on one end of the tent because we slid down through the night from us kids being smart setting the tent up on a hill. Still it's one of the best memories I have to date and is one reason I love sleeping in tents.

suza
09-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Not technically a 'camping' memory but it was my first memory in a tent! I was at my cousins house in CT for a birthday party. When they have parties it's always like 100 people, but they have a huge yard and whoever come from out of town stays over. The parents/adults get bedrooms and any pull out bed; the kids get the basement floor. Earlier that year they got a 14 person tent or something crazy like that, and all the cousins pitched the tent (on a hill) and we all squished on with a bunch of pillows, sleeping bags and blankets. The next morning we all woke up on top of each other on one end of the tent because we slid down through the night from us kids being smart setting the tent up on a hill. Still it's one of the best memories I have to date and is one reason I love sleeping in tents.

Sounds like "camping memory", to me. Great story!