PDA

View Full Version : Towing Question

Bi11dawg
08-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Question for you experienced campers out there.
I have a 2012 Cougar that, according to the manufacture, weighs in at about 12,000 empty. I have a 2001 Ram 3500 clubcab 4x4 diesel with an automatic tranny. My question is about towing with OD off or on? Ive been told not to tow in OD but the truck seems to almost redline around 3000 at only about 55-60 mph. I have noticed that if you push it up over 66-67 mph you can set the cruise and click the OD switch on then back off and it will shift up a gear, but if your speed drops below that 66-67 mph then the truck will down shift back to an OD off gear. Sorry, not sure of the gear specs or tranny specs. Was just curious if anybody else has had this happen and what can be done.
Recently pulling the camper the mileage was down under 8mpg so this is the reason for the question.

tileman
08-25-2013, 01:37 PM
I pull a fuzion it runs around 12,500 to 13,000 with our stuff in it.
Have a 2010 dodge 3500 4x4 DRW auto with 3.73 gears.

I run the auto in 5th gear no OD or tow mode on.
And the RPM's are around 2,100 and gets around 10 1/2 to 11 mpg with no head wind.

When I would run the tow mode it would always be looking for a gear on the hills. Also When we were towing it was around 109 outside and the truck temps motor was around 210-215 Transmission was 170-185

Have been towing this way for around 11,000 miles and so far so good.

Also ask here these guys are a ton of info www.dieseltruckresource.com

davidjsimons
08-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Question for you experienced campers out there.
I have a 2012 Cougar that, according to the manufacture, weighs in at about 12,000 empty. I have a 2001 Ram 3500 clubcab 4x4 diesel with an automatic tranny. My question is about towing with OD off or on? Ive been told not to tow in OD but the truck seems to almost redline around 3000 at only about 55-60 mph. I have noticed that if you push it up over 66-67 mph you can set the cruise and click the OD switch on then back off and it will shift up a gear, but if your speed drops below that 66-67 mph then the truck will down shift back to an OD off gear. Sorry, not sure of the gear specs or tranny specs. Was just curious if anybody else has had this happen and what can be done.
Recently pulling the camper the mileage was down under 8mpg so this is the reason for the question.

Is your torque converter locking when you disengage the overdrive? It sounds as though it is not if you are turning that many RPM's

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

davidjsimons
08-25-2013, 01:47 PM
I pull a fuzion it runs around 12,500 to 13,000 with our stuff in it.
Have a 2010 dodge 3500 4x4 DRW auto with 3.73 gears.

I run the auto in 5th gear no OD or tow mode on.
And the RPM's are around 2,100 and gets around 10 1/2 to 11 mpg with no head wind.

When I would run the tow mode it would always be looking for a gear on the hills. Also When we were towing it was around 109 outside and the truck temps motor was around 210-215 Transmission was 170-185

Have been towing this way for around 11,000 miles and so far so good.

Also ask here these guys are a ton of info www.dieseltruckresource.com

Try fifth gear with the tow mode on. You should notice better up shifts and the exhaust brake works better with the down shifting action of the tow mode as well. Just thought I'd mention it. Give it a try if you haven't already.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

tileman
08-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Try fifth gear with the tow mode on. You should notice better up shifts and the exhaust brake works better with the down shifting action of the tow mode as well. Just thought I'd mention it. Give it a try if you haven't already.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

Maybe I am wrong but when I put it in 5th and hit the tow mode it gos back to looking for a lower gear on the hills and dose a lot of shifting so to say its kind of like lugging the motor when its in tow mode.
But we will be making a trip in a month or so Ill give it a try and see what it dose. I still have to get it into the shop have a sound mid cab just been busy with work and kids.

Bi11dawg
08-25-2013, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE=davidjsimons;93062]Try fifth gear with the tow mode on. You should notice better up shifts and the exhaust brake works better with the down shifting action of the tow mode as well. Just thought I'd mention it. Give it a try if you haven't already.

I might add I am not real familiar with this truck, it is my dads truck and currently does not get drove unless something needs hauled. I do know it has had the transmission in it rebuilt twice, and I have questioned if it is right each time. I personally know the mechanic and trust him with all my vehicles but I sometimes wonder if the tranny has been repaired properly, due to lack of knowledge, not expertise a s a mechanic. As far as tow mode on and off I'm assuming when you say "tow mode" you mean OD OFF? That is all we have and I have no idea about the torque converter or the gear it is in.

davidjsimons
08-25-2013, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=davidjsimons;93062]Try fifth gear with the tow mode on. You should notice better up shifts and the exhaust brake works better with the down shifting action of the tow mode as well. Just thought I'd mention it. Give it a try if you haven't already.

I might add I am not real familiar with this truck, it is my dads truck and currently does not get drove unless something needs hauled. I do know it has had the transmission in it rebuilt twice, and I have questioned if it is right each time. I personally know the mechanic and trust him with all my vehicles but I sometimes wonder if the tranny has been repaired properly, due to lack of knowledge, not expertise a s a mechanic. As far as tow mode on and off I'm assuming when you say "tow mode" you mean OD OFF? That is all we have and I have no idea about the torque converter or the gear it is in.

The 2001 has no tow mode. It is best to tow with the overdrive off. That being said, it sounds as though you are turning too many RPM's for the converter to be locking as it should. The shift sequence in that transmission is first, second, third, overdrive and then the final drop in RPM is the converter locking.
With the overdrive off, you should still be able to feel first, second, third and then a final "shift" , which is actually the converter locking.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

LittleJoe
08-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Bi11dawg

Sounds like it is possible that the truck has 4.10 gear ratio. If you are at 60mph or more I would use overdrive. If cruise control is making it hunt turn it off and use your foot, you will get better fuel mileage and easier on transmission.
When pulling grades that make it shift out of OD then lockout on button until grade is completed, then reingage.
It might be a good idea to have someone experienced actually verify that the torque convertor is locking and unlocking as it should. HTH

ctpd814
08-25-2013, 06:39 PM
I have a 99 Dodge 3500 with the diesel. If you are towing stop and go, or going to be running below 55mph, turn the OD off. If you do not, the truck will shift into OD and the torque converter will lock. The truck will lug (run very low rpm). This is not good for the transmission (the weak point of this year range of these trucks). If you are going to be running 55 or above, do not turn off the OD, unless you are on a long steep grade and the truck begins to bog down too much. I also would not tow with the cruise set. I find I can tell more of what the truck is doing by working the pedal my self.

You can find the gear ration by lifting the hood. On the bottom side of the hood, near the latch, there is a sticker with this info.

Bi11dawg
08-25-2013, 08:16 PM
[QUOTE=Bi11dawg;93065]

The 2001 has no tow mode. It is best to tow with the overdrive off. That being said, it sounds as though you are turning too many RPM's for the converter to be locking as it should. The shift sequence in that transmission is first, second, third, overdrive and then the final drop in RPM is the converter locking.
With the overdrive off, you should still be able to feel first, second, third and then a final "shift" , which is actually the converter locking.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.
Next time I drive the t/v ill see if I can tell.

Bi11dawg
08-25-2013, 08:23 PM
So it sounds to me that towing in Overdrive is OK? Even with the known transmission problems of this era MOPAR??
BTW I agree with the rt foot vs. cruise. This was my 1st time pulling the RV a long distance so I figured I would try a couple of different things after seeing the mileage continue to go down. I will ck on the gear ratio. What is a good setup to have for pulling something like my RV? Would higher be better for the longer haul?

davidjsimons
08-26-2013, 03:14 AM
I had a '99 with the same transmission. As stated above, on the wide open highway, at speeds of easily maintaining 65, I would use my overdrive. If you however feel a lot of searching back and forth, I would disengage it. You will have either a 3.55 or 4.10 rear in that truck. Most likely it is going to be a 3.55 unless it was ordered differently. Be sure to also not run any type of transmission fluid other than MoPar ATF, just my opinion.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

webster62
12-14-2013, 05:05 AM
I had a 2001 Supercrew, 5.4 with tow pkg for 10 years, bought it new. I towed all sorts of stuff on a tandem axle car trailer and our Jayco 22ft camper. I never locked it out of overdrive when I towed as the transmission shifted as needed. I had the transmission flushed at 103,000 miles, should have done that sooner, but never had any problems with the transmission. Loved that truck...

jje1960
12-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Just buy a Ford and be done with it.

Hah! Just kidd'in. I would think something is definitely not right there. The 'don't use OD advise' is sometimes very confusing... If the tranny is constantly down shifting, then OD should not be on. However, with multiple vehicles, we have had no problem with using OD if the conditions (level or down grade) allow. Newer vehicles with 'Tow Mode' do different actions per manufacture, in our latest, we actually have taken it out of tow mode plenty of times, drops rpm and does just fine. However, when towing on grades (both ways) we do use the tow mode. Obviously not going to help your situation, JS. Hope you get this figured out, post when it's settled. Merry Christmas, hope all are enjoying their holiday season.

airforceret
12-17-2013, 06:17 AM
I towed extensively with a 2001 Ford and my only advise is to be sure and have the transmission serviced with fluid / filter changes. If you want to monitor whether the "hunting of gears" is occurring too often for OD, then I'd recommend getting a transmission temperature gauge installed. Transmissions are designed to upshift / downshift, but when they are being overtaxed (lugging in OD) they will run hot (just like your engine). Frequent up/down shifting speaks for itself!!! If you decide to get a gauge, and you find you are running hot, find a safe place to pull off and let it run (in neutral to better circulate the tranny fluid) to cool it down (do not shut it off as this allows the heat to saturate).

Good luck...

LittleJoe
12-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Use OD unless it is hunting and if so take it out of OD. On long climbs where load is high, do the climb in 3 rd then back to OD.
If it stays and pulls in OD let it pull. FWIW cruise will most always give you less mpg than driving smart with your foot.