PDA

View Full Version : Book reading while camping

Ken / Claudia
08-17-2013, 09:27 PM
It's just DW, the dog and myself, so we actually read alot at home and continue while camping. I enjoy reading military true stories. I would like to have people list the names of books that they read that really stood out as a great story etc. By listing the name of a book or books and a line or two of why it is a good read.
Just finnished "A higher Call" a WW2 story, I never knew much about the German pilots. Real insight on them.
"Lone Survivor" It was hard to believe that anyone could survive what he did.

richf28
08-18-2013, 02:52 AM
I too enjoy an occasional r&r with a book. I enjoy autobiographies. Especially about music stars. My last one was Steven Tyler. "Does the noise in my head bother you". Not a bad read if you like him and Aerosmith. A great read is "Clapton" about Eric Clapton. I have read ones from Alice Cooper, and Ozzy Osbourne. Rock stars have a pretty wild life.

crash
08-19-2013, 03:39 AM
READ,NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :party::bdance::party::D

Kristi
08-19-2013, 06:46 AM
If you enjoyed "Lone Survivor" You may also be interested in "SEAL of Honor: Operation Red Wings and the Life of LT. Michael P. Murphy, USN" It is not as dramatic, but still a good read.

Festus2
08-19-2013, 06:53 AM
My wife is now taking along her new eReader (Kobo) on our trips and finding that it saves packing a bunch of "real" books. Her current favourites are novels by Archer, Baldachi and Follett.

byrdr1
08-19-2013, 07:03 AM
"Happy, Happy, Happy" it was a good read this past weekend.
Nice to see how a good Ole' country boy came to be the Duck Commander and a millionaire.
I also just read " No Easy Day" in the last few weeks.

When I read, I read.. MY wife cant stand it because I devour any book until I am done.
Happy, Happy, Happy book was read in around 2-3 hours or less over 2 days.

Kristi
08-19-2013, 11:30 AM
"Happy, Happy, Happy" it was a good read this past weekend.
Nice to see how a good Ole' country boy came to be the Duck Commander and a millionaire.
I also just read " No Easy Day" in the last few weeks.

When I read, I read.. MY wife cant stand it because I devour any book until I am done.
Happy, Happy, Happy book was read in around 2-3 hours or less over 2 days.

X2 on "Happy, Happy, Happy"

suza
08-19-2013, 01:25 PM
DH and I are also avid readers. He reads 10-12 books a month! Me - I'm a slow reader. In our lives, there is nothing like camping in a peaceful setting, sitting in a camp chair under the awning with a good book - unless it's curling up on the sofa in front of the wood stove with a good book on a rainy day ;)

We both like John Grisham. DH enjoys war novels, submarine books (he was a submariner in the Navy). He has read every Larry McMurtry book and also likes James Lee Burke and Nevil Shute. He often reads the same books again. Sometimes, not on purpose :D

One of my favorite authors is Jeffrey Archer. He has written quite a few novels, the most recent being a trilogy, "The Clifton Chronicles". My favorite book of his is "As the Crow Flies". He also authored several collections of short stories (good for setting down and picking up again later). I recently discovered Kate Morton. Her stories are very good, but sometimes hard to follow as they are multi-generational and have numerous characters. When reading her, I keep notes in the back of the book :) I also like to read some of the old children's classics I remember from my childhood.

We purchase a lot of books at used book stores, library sales and online from Amazon, Abebooks and Half.com. We have a Kindle (given to DH by our son), but it just isn't the same as a book.

Ken / Claudia
08-19-2013, 04:17 PM
Good ideas, I would like to read about the Duck guy, I am a long time duck hunter and seen some of his TV shows. I did not know he had a book out. The Lt. M. Murphy story sounds good, he was a true hero.

Jim Dow
08-19-2013, 05:53 PM
My wife and I read on our iPhones and iPad. That way we can read from Kindle, Nook, and iBooks as we may choose - they each don't sell the same ebooks.

My 12-year old grandson just published his first ebook in a series called "Where is Caden James?" The first ebook is "At Home on the Farm!" It's a kid's picture ebook about his life on a farm. He and I collaborated to take the pictures, write/type the story lines, and I pretty-much did the publishing on both Amazon.com and Smashwords - hence it's available on Kindle, Nook, and iBook for $2.99, either flavor. He's now a proud author and entrepreneur. It took us 20 hours to finish the project - start to finish; and it didn't cost us one red cent.

The second ebook in the series will be "Where is Caden James? Gone Fishing!"; and the third ebook will be "Where is Caden James? At the Zoo!". We had fun; and it kept him thinking and away from video games this summer.

Take a look at Caden's ebook and watch out for the others in the coming weeks. You will enjoy it; and you may want to try it with your grandkids - maybe not something for each of them.

Ken / Claudia
08-20-2013, 10:38 PM
Jim, He is not my grandson and I am proud of him. I wish him well. Ken

Robby9
08-21-2013, 07:34 AM
For those of you using e-readers/tablets you need to look into the Overdrive App. It allows you to download e-books and audiobooks from your public library for free.

Personally, I like downloading audiobooks to my smart phone and listening to them while doing other stuff.

Family_5ers
08-21-2013, 12:27 PM
X3 on Happy Happy Happy. Also just finished The Duck Commander Family. Not as well written but still an amazing story.

gearhead
08-22-2013, 04:55 AM
I like James Lee Burke as well. I guess I've read all of them.
My favorite book of all is "Three Roads to the Alamo" by William C. Davis. It's biographies of Bowie, Travis, & Crockett. Great read even if you're not a Texan.

fred1609
08-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Just finished reading Killing Kennedy and Killing Lincoln....Both amazing reads.

The Mac's
08-22-2013, 08:07 PM
I, too, enjoy reading! I always have a book and/or my Kindle nearby. Love the Kindle for travel cuz then when I finish one book I have others readily at hand. For those that enjoy military or war reads try Laura Hillenbrand's book UNBROKEN....a story of survival during WWII. Good book. I enjoy Jeffrey Archer, James Patterson, Ken Follett too. For free or inexpensive books try www.bookbub.com. You register, list your preference for reading material (I.e. historical fiction, mysteries, romance, etc.) and you will get emails with selections...some free, some a couple dollars. Free is good cuz if you down load and end up not liking them just delete and you are not out anything. I have actually been surprised and have gotten quite. few good reads this way. My husband reads, too, but enjoys magazines, Reader's Digest, etc. over novels. Great thread...always good to get a list of suggested books!

suza
08-23-2013, 06:18 AM
I agree with The Mac's. I hope Forum members keep contributing suggestions for good reads. You can't have too many books!

gearhead
08-23-2013, 06:43 PM
x2 on Killing Kennedy and Killing Lincoln.

Ken / Claudia
10-14-2013, 09:13 PM
I finnished Happy, Happy, Happy. Very interesting story, thanks to those who mentioned it. Side note, I had several of his movies on duck hunting and a co workers son was about 16 and wanted to start duck hunting, I gave the movies to him. He really liked duck hunting. Several years later, about 10 years ago that young man contacted Phil, who came to Oregon and duck hunted with him in the Columbia river.

Mike Fender
10-22-2013, 09:32 AM
In the past year I've read about 12 books. "No Easy Day" was one. After reading "The Admirals" I had to make a b line to the War of the Pacific Museum in Fredericksburg, Texas; which also lead me to read "FDR" and "A Sailor in the Whitehouse". Haven't decided what to read this winter.

suza
10-22-2013, 10:10 AM
I've decided to read some of the old classics. We picked up quite a few at a recent "Buck a Bag" used book sale at our library. All the books you can fit in a bag for $1. It's an easy way to accumulate way too many books :rolleyes:

I just finished "Journey to the Center of the Earth". It was easy reading but not much resemblance to the movie (old version starring Pat Boone).

I was reading "Huckleberry Finn", until the DH grabbed it off the nightstand. I think I will read "Wind in the Willows" next. Every time we go out in our kayaks, I think of how Toad loves "messing around in boats".

We are taking the RV for a Fall outing next weekend. Don't know if we'll do much reading as the weather forecast looks fantastic! Plan to hike, bike and paddle at Eel Lake just a short drive up the coast of Oregon from our part of the world. But, then, I could see myself floating out on the lake, reading about Mr. Toad.

Murphsmom
10-22-2013, 03:11 PM
Ray - Tell Susan that the newest of the Clifton Chronicles books is being published in the UK. I got my copy of Best Kept Secret from a Brit friend several months before it was available here.

Another good author is Bryce Courtenay. He was Australian/South African. A lot of interesting history in his books. Sorry to say, though that they are quite difficult to come by here in the States. Power of One was the only one published here, although you can find some at used bookstores. Here again, I have a friend from out of the country (Canada this time) who finds them used up there and gets them to me.

DH reads just about any war story or western, and I like mysteries and historical fiction.

Headed out to the other side of Oregon from you on Friday. Wine tasting in E WA and checking out the Pendleton area. Great little RV park right on the river in Boardman.

Justvisiting2day
10-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Where we host in Texas, at the Rec center, we have book books and more books. Plus DVDs and VCR tapes by the box. Every one that comes in trades and leaves usually more than they take. Because there is no English Language TV there we do read alot, Which is a lot better on your brain any way. I enjoy just about any thing, fiction or non and a heck of a lot of mystery .
One thing about those ebooks.........NO ONE SHARES :banghead:
Well My 2p
Cheers

suza
10-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Ray - Tell Susan that the newest of the Clifton Chronicles books is being published in the UK. I got my copy of Best Kept Secret from a Brit friend several months before it was available here.

Another good author is Bryce Courtenay. He was Australian/South African. A lot of interesting history in his books. Sorry to say, though that they are quite difficult to come by here in the States. Power of One was the only one published here, although you can find some at used bookstores. Here again, I have a friend from out of the country (Canada this time) who finds them used up there and gets them to me.

DH reads just about any war story or western, and I like mysteries and historical fiction.

Headed out to the other side of Oregon from you on Friday. Wine tasting in E WA and checking out the Pendleton area. Great little RV park right on the river in Boardman.

Thanks. Can't wait for the next installment of the Clifton Chronicles :)

We just returned from a quick trip to Eel Lake/Tugman state park, about an hour from home. Read most of "Travels with My Aunt" by Graham Greene, as our kayak excursion was cut short by rain :(