PDA

View Full Version : Went to leave today

tileman
08-17-2013, 02:57 AM
:( And hooked the 5th wheel up last night did a walk around pulled up to the house from the barn out back all is good.

Well go to leave in the am and the truck dodge 3500 4x4 2010 is making a sound under the rear cab like a low hummm after 10MPH.

Got up to the highway and got up to around 50 or so and its still there :(

It sounds like its coming from mid drive shaft like around the carrier bearing the truck only has maybe 55,000 on it.

Took the trailer off the sound is still there just not as loud.

Any other thing you guys think it could be?

Thanks Ron.

Jim W
08-17-2013, 06:34 AM
Since the sound is coming from the center of the truck do you have a carrier bearing? My 08 Mega Cab 4X4, 2500HD, SB which is as long as a Crew Cab LB truck has a one piece drive shaft under it.

Now can you hear this noise when you back-up or go forward and will it occur under a load or no-load condition, engine torque? If you have a two piece drive shaft could it be the u-joints instead of a carrier bearing? I would also craw under the truck and see if there is any slop or play in the u-joint/carrier bearing.

I know that several Ram trucks have been changed out to the one piece drive shaft from the Mega Cabs to eliminate the carrier bearing on their trucks.

Jim W.

tileman
08-17-2013, 08:10 AM
Since the sound is coming from the center of the truck do you have a carrier bearing? My 08 Mega Cab 4X4, 2500HD, SB which is as long as a Crew Cab LB truck has a one piece drive shaft under it.

Now can you hear this noise when you back-up or go forward and will it occur under a load or no-load condition, engine torque? If you have a two piece drive shaft could it be the u-joints instead of a carrier bearing? I would also craw under the truck and see if there is any slop or play in the u-joint/carrier bearing.

I know that several Ram trucks have been changed out to the one piece drive shaft from the Mega Cabs to eliminate the carrier bearing on their trucks.

Jim W.

Yea It has a carrier bearing. I can only hear it going forward not backing up.
I step on the gas get it up to over 5mph then let off gas and you can hear it.
I took it to the shop and a guy took it for a test ride and could hear it too.
He thinks it a rear axle bearing :eek: The truck only has around 55,000 on it.

Well have to take it back in mon when they are more guys on staff to get to it.

How hard is it to replace the carrier bearing ?

Javi
08-17-2013, 08:22 AM
Yea It has a carrier bearing. I can only hear it going forward not backing up.
I step on the gas get it up to over 5mph then let off gas and you can hear it.
I took it to the shop and a guy took it for a test ride and could hear it too.
He thinks it a rear axle bearing :eek: The truck only has around 55,000 on it.

Well have to take it back in mon when they are more guys on staff to get to it.

How hard is it to replace the carrier bearing ?

About 1 hour with the proper equipment. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Tx-vklCYw

tileman
08-17-2013, 08:31 AM
About 1 hour with the proper equipment.

:):) and what would be the proper equipment :D
To me it looks like I may need a press but could be wrong.

Thanks for the link

08quadram
08-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Don,t feel too bad. My '08 ram 1500 only has 73k on the clock and i just put on its third set of tie rod ends. Lot of other items also, mpst while still under warranty. Wait until your mode 2door goes oit in your heater box. Only fox for that is to pull the dash. $1k to fixed.

x96mnn
08-17-2013, 03:30 PM
My 2011 was doing the same thing with about 40k miles and there was a recall for a rear pinion bearing I think they called it. Anyway took it in and they said it came loose which is what the recall is for, it tore up the rear a bit so they replaced the whole thing. Warranty.

tileman
08-26-2013, 03:07 PM
Here's the update to my truck.

Took it in to the dealer today and they took it for a spin and could hear the sound to :)

So I get a call around 3-4 today and they say its the carrier bearing gone bad.
It will be fixed under warranty and no money out of pocket "bouncey:

Ill get it back wed after work maybe Ill take the camper for a spin this weekend to give it a try ;)

Ron.

crash
08-27-2013, 02:22 AM
Great that it is covered under warranty:D