PDA

View Full Version : Winterize Springdale 303BHSSR

BigDaddy
08-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Hi,

We just bought a Springdale 303BHSSR, and I'm thinking about winterizing it know so we won't panic in November. Anyone know of where to start?

We traded in an Outback 21RS, and I was able to install a pump to suck in the anti-freeze out of the bottle. THis way you just put a "coating" in the hot water heater. I guess the other option is fill the water tank w/ about 10 gallons and pump it through?

Thanks for your help!

traveler
08-24-2010, 11:14 AM
I like to install a "water heater bypass kit" to avoid leaving any water in the water heater at all.
I then use a "schrader valve" threaded into the city water fill line and with my compressor on a low setting blow air through all the plumbing lines opening each faucet one at a time.
In years past I made a fitting with a female hose coupling on one end, a 3 foot piece of clear tubing hose clamped onto the fitting.
I would unthread the water line coupling on the suction side or holding tank side of the onboard water pump and attach the hose I made.
Insert the open end of the tubing into a gallon of antifreze and turn on the pump. It will fill everything right from there.
Still use a water heater bypass and leave the plug out of the water heater.

BigDaddy
08-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Wow, some of this is coming back to me now. I usually winterize off the DC battery, since I have no AC where I park our trailer. I have never used the blow out technique with an air compressor, and have been OK, letting all the faucets run until pink with anti-freeze.

What is the difference from turning off the hot water at the valve, and installing a "water heater bypass kit"?

I do have a clear hose w/ a female fitting on it, so I will have to try and hunt for the water pump to see if it fits the new trailer? Do you think it's a universal / standard size? I remember it's about a 5/8 ".

Thanks

SLIMSHADIE
08-24-2010, 06:16 PM
The water heater bypass kit, turns off the water to the water heater. Saving 6-10 gallons of antifreeze. So with the bypass turned on, no water/antifreeze should enter the water heater. Also make sure its drained for the winter.

My Laredo has the bypass and suction hose off the pump installed from the factory. Maybe yours does too. Just look for a valve on the incoming water line at the water heater and and the pump.;)