PDA

View Full Version : Enough Truck for an Avalanche 341TG

dndweeks
07-23-2013, 03:12 PM
We've been trying to decide which RV we want before buying a truck. Don't want to get more truck then we are really going to need, but also don't want to get less truck then we are really going to need. The truck won't be used for just towing the RV.

We're very new to the RV and truck world and still trying to figure all of this out.

Here are the stats on the Avalanche

Shipping Weight 12199
Carrying Capacity 2076
Hitch 2275

We've been looking at the F250 and F350, both Diesel.

The salesman told us the F250 would tow the Avalanche just fine, but I trust the opinions here more. Would the F250 be enough truck to tow the Avalanche? Would there be significant differences in towing it with a F350?

Thanks.

therink
07-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Definitely 1 ton. Nothing less exceeding payload on truck with heavy pin weight is what you have to worry about, not that "it can tow it" like any salesman will say.

Festus2
07-23-2013, 03:40 PM
dndweeks -
If you have been looking at the trucks, then you should make a note of what the numbers are according to the sticker inside the door panel of each. Those are very important when determining payload. Payload is what you should be finding out. The shipping weight of the RV is not that relevant so you can easily forget about using that to determine your needs.

I haven't looked at the TV door stickers so I can't tell you much other than a guess. My guess would be that you would be better off with a 1ton tow vehicle for that RV.

Here I am guessing again but could it be that the salesman told you that you would be ok with an F250 because if he were to tell you that you might be better off with an F350, that you might back away from buying the RV? A possible lost sale? Just thinking out loud.

There wouldn't be much difference in price, mileage or upkeep and there wouldn't be any doubt that you would fine with a 350 and this RV. Then we get into the question of a dually or single. But that isn't what you asked but I am guessing one last time that most will tell you to get an F350 dually. Enough said. Good luck.

justlkn
07-24-2013, 10:03 AM
I have the same camper. I ended up with a 3500HD dually. Handles and pulls like a dream.

labs4life
07-24-2013, 06:42 PM
I would also say 350 dually. Plenty of payload and the duels give you more stability as well. Dually payload is significantly higher than the SRW model. Payload will be the limiting factor of the SRW.

Stublejumper
08-11-2013, 04:46 PM
I bought a 3500 srw to tow my 341 avalanche and regret doing so,don't get me wrong the truck pulls it fine no problems at all , but running at max weight and possibility of a blowout is on my mind when towing .So I just take it easy and check air pressure often.