PDA

View Full Version : Mislabeled Sewage dump valves

Ruffus
08-13-2010, 05:25 AM
Read on the blog the other day about someones sewage dump valves being labeled wrong and it got me thinking. Mine are labeled from front to rear, Black water, Grey water and Galley. If the sink and shower are forward of the toilet in the bathroom it would only make since the the Grey water would be forward of the black water tank just to save the extra cost of the CPVC pipe. Well to make a long story short, mine are also mis labeled. I dumped the black water valve and the grey water indicator lights dropped like a lead ballon. Thanks for the heads up.
Jim B. :eek:

lonewolf
08-13-2010, 01:27 PM
My black water drain is 3 inch and the gray water is 1 1/2 inches pretty much cut and dry sewage needs a bigger pipe than gray water does. But that is just how mine is.

jimbob
08-13-2010, 10:56 PM
I have a 2010 Fuzion 302 TE II. They had the lables wrong on the 2 front drain valves. I am a plumbing and heating contractor, the black & front grey water tank valves are behind the frame, can only see the pull handles. I also have a second grey water tank and 1-1/2" drain valve for the rear tank (kitchen & laundry). I have a nice lable maker, so I just made new labels and added lables to other things, like lp gas connection, air compressor, rear ramp switch, fueling station & instructions including ground clamp in case someone else uses it. Stuff Happens.

MightyMike
08-13-2010, 11:17 PM
My black water drain is 3 inch and the gray water is 1 1/2 inches pretty much cut and dry sewage needs a bigger pipe than gray water does. But that is just how mine is.

On the bigger units with enclosed underbellies the valves aren't exposed. They are cable actuated, inside a compartment on the side of the unit. Easiest way to tell if they're right- drain all the tanks completely, and close the black tank handle. Go inside and run the water in the tub. If water comes out, you're O.K. If not, shut the water off, and then open the black valve you had just shut. If water starts draining then, they're labeled wrong.

bennydog
08-14-2010, 08:57 AM
This might sound a bit odd but I use a clear plastic 45 degree coupler between the stinky slinky and the trailer so I can see whats going on. That way I know when they tanks are completely empty. I guess a side benefit is that I can tell I'm draining the tank I think I am.:)

sloopdog 1
08-14-2010, 09:35 AM
My f/w didn't have anything to show which valve handle was which.It was new, so I ran water into the black tank using the commode, then put in one of the orange deodorant packs,and opened and closed the valves until orange water came out.A magic marker took care of the missing label.;)

Ruffus
08-15-2010, 05:13 PM
To easy guys, if you have your D/W pull the elbow out of the sewer pipe and then pull the valve open, tell her to holler when she sees the brown trout swimming by, then you know which valve is witch.

MightyMike
08-15-2010, 11:57 PM
That's TOO funny. Something tells me you must be married a LOOOOONG time!

KanTC
08-16-2010, 06:56 PM
As bennydog mentioned - we also use a clear coupler when draining the tanks... and as a result, DH knew right away that the valves on our Laredo were also incorrectly labeled!! We made new labels too, but this is the first time we'd ever had *mis-labeled* tank valves.

Terri (& DH Kevin) :)

JSSML
09-08-2010, 07:21 AM
I have a 2011 Passport 2910BH and I too have the Black and Grey reversed. I was lucky my first time out I had a full hookup site and was able to play around. I thought i was the only one!

scottm1
07-12-2011, 10:18 AM
My Laredo also had mis labeled dump valves. Another one of my complaints about the workers on the assembly line at the factory. It takes no more time to put the labels on correctly than it does to put them on wrong. Either the workers have no pride and don't care, or management is not training them correctly before putting them on the line to do the work.

Huskerdude
07-12-2011, 02:40 PM
We have a 2011 Bullet Premier 28RLPR, same situation. I figured it out before we took our first trip !! Sounds like someone at Keystone can't read blueprints !!!

gkainz
07-13-2011, 04:43 AM
At least you got the labels! My Laredo 245RL is not mis-labeled ... it's just not labeled at all ... "Black is back..." (hopefully I'm remembering that correctly) guess I had better print out a couple labels!

hankaye
07-13-2011, 06:42 AM
Howdy All;

My 2 forward tanks were not labled, so, instead of waiting for the black to fill-up I ran some water into the shower and lavey to check for leaks and valve pull location.

10 minutes later ... pulled the front valve ...BINGO! We have a winna!
:bdance: :bdance: :bdance:

Now my 'dump routine' is close Kitchen valve, open Black, Flush (rinse), Black, closeBlack, Open Front Gray, close Front Gray, re-open Kitchen.

I fulltime and stay hooked to the ground (Sanatiary Drain to city sewage).

hank

The Sod Father
07-13-2011, 09:43 AM
This might sound a bit odd but I use a clear plastic 45 degree coupler between the stinky slinky and the trailer so I can see whats going on. That way I know when they tanks are completely empty. I guess a side benefit is that I can tell I'm draining the tank I think I am.:)

+1. The clear elbow is a must have. Especially when looking for the swimming brown trout.:rofl:

Me.Bikes.Dogs
07-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Mislabeled dump handles aren't unique to Keystone. I was talking to someone last night with a non-Keystone brand and sure enough their labels were backwards. Most of the trailer makers are all in the same basic area of the country. I wonder if employees get fired from one and just move on to the next, bringing their bad habits with them. Sort of a musical chairs.

Johnnyfry
09-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Just for the record, my 318SAB is fine. Verified by using a 45 degree clear section.

John

Grss
09-28-2011, 05:00 PM
They are labeled wrong on my 2006 too. We found that out on our first trip with it, Bad part, we bought it used and it wasn't my "used water".

CarKath
09-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Mislabeled or not. Now you know. At the end of the day ........thats what counts. Enjoy your camper and re label......... it's just that easy, lol

SAABDOCTOR
11-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Wow mine were mislabled too! An 03 montana. Looks like someone at the factory has a bad sence of humor. Nothing like a poop tsunami when tou pull the wrong valve!:(

Frogdown
12-17-2011, 07:13 AM
Labels? I don't see no stinking labels!:thewave:

Outbackmel
12-17-2011, 08:55 AM
In my boating, pre RV years, a friend was on the fly bridge of his boat; wife and 3 yr old below. Baby stood up and switched the macerator discharge pump to "on" while in port. BAD BABY; BAD NEWS... VERY BAD....

On a recent motorhome trip, a CRAZY retired friend stopped at a rest area. Before going inside the facility, this guy opens his grey water outlet over a drain. People thought it was BLACK WATER WASTE and called NY state police. To keep from getting a ticket or going to jail, he proved grey versus black by reaching down and spashing it all over his face! They lectured him and let him be on his way. :p

S _ _ _ happens!:bdance:

Johnnyfry
12-17-2011, 09:33 AM
So it has been definitely confirmed, Keystone employs dislexic workers on the production line. I guess I'd say just buy a label maker and deal with it.

Happy holidays to all.

John

Outbackmel
12-17-2011, 12:01 PM
Just was at RV world of Georgia here in Buford, yesterday. I was inquiring on some matching "seam tape". Showed me on the computer, like 7 variations. His ending comment was: Keystone is like working on a new puzzle with the same parts except each piece goes in a different way. Kind of sums it up.
A little more "consistency" would be helpful. How about a manual that really reflects how YOUR unit is supposed to work. Heck, I'd pay an extra $100 for that option!

gkainz
12-17-2011, 01:01 PM
I just thought about this again - maybe the fault is not with the labeler - maybe the person who connects the cables to the dump valves is presented with 2 (or 3) cable ends, and 2 (or 3) valves - "Hook 'em up, Joe, and get busy on the next one." :rolleyes:

and then maybe enough complaints came back to Keystone and they fired the label maker... and that's why mine came without ANY labels? :)

Pawpod
06-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Our other trailer, not a keystone, had the labels backwards also. Found out when we did our shakedown trip. Used nice fresh water.;).

rhagfo
06-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Howdy All;

My 2 forward tanks were not labled, so, instead of waiting for the black to fill-up I ran some water into the shower and lavey to check for leaks and valve pull location.

10 minutes later ... pulled the front valve ...BINGO! We have a winna!
:bdance: :bdance: :bdance:

Now my 'dump routine' is close Kitchen valve, open Black, Flush (rinse), Black, closeBlack, Open Front Gray, close Front Gray, re-open Kitchen.

I fulltime and stay hooked to the ground (Sanatiary Drain to city sewage).

hank

Do you leave the galley open all the time?

Just spent our first week on the tanks, in this unit. So I dumped the Black and flushed with about 20 Gals of fresh water (no tank flush unit (YET)), then galley, then Grey (Bath) drain tube was nice and clean.

scottm1
07-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Makes you kinda wonder if they aren't putting the labels on wrong intentionally since they had been doing it wrong for so long....doesn't it? You would think that after a little while the dealers would have clued the factory in on the mistakes to make the correction if the factory even cared a little bit. Since it seems to be going on so long, they either don't care, or are doing it on purpose. Someone at the factory is probably giggling his butt off everytime another one rolls off the line with mis labeled tanks while saying under his breathe "Let the sucker figure this out the hard way".

SteveC7010
07-06-2012, 11:27 AM
Makes you kinda wonder if they aren't putting the labels on wrong intentionally since they had been doing it wrong for so long....doesn't it? You would think that after a little while the dealers would have clued the factory in on the mistakes to make the correction if the factory even cared a little bit. Since it seems to be going on so long, they either don't care, or are doing it on purpose. Someone at the factory is probably giggling his butt off everytime another one rolls off the line with mis labeled tanks while saying under his breathe "Let the sucker figure this out the hard way".

What I find a lot more annoying is that the dealers don't catch it, the owners do. Think about that for a moment.

hankaye
07-06-2012, 06:31 PM
scottm1, Howdy;

Yes I leave the Galley drain open ... until I get ready to dump the
'others' then I close it. Re-open after the other 2 are empty...

hankaye

randy69
07-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Maybe that's why my 3 holding tanks didn't come with labels. So I can't blame anyone. And yes the biggest pipe is black water . I had put water into the toilet to check it out. And the other 2 dump valves are gray, Bathroom and kitchen sink. If you guys aren't sure about your black water dump valve and go to hook up a hose to flush the tank with the valve closed You can rupture the black water tank.

kisgrigg
07-29-2012, 05:20 AM
I posted a problem earlier about not being able to dump my #2 gray tank, and saw this posting about the mislabeling of the valves. Did a little experiment pulling the black tank handle, and voila! the gray tank emptied. I think it might be helpful if the owners manual was a little more detailed. The eHow website had more information than the factory manual did.

SteveC7010
07-29-2012, 05:39 AM
I posted a problem earlier about not being able to dump my #2 gray tank, and saw this posting about the mislabeling of the valves. Did a little experiment pulling the black tank handle, and voila! the gray tank emptied. I think it might be helpful if the owners manual was a little more detailed. The eHow website had more information than the factory manual did.

The problem now is that your black tank has been sitting there for several days with the valve open. That means that all the fluids are drained and the solids are beginning to build up which can be a very difficult situation to reverse.

Fill the black tank with water to at least 3/4 full. Let it sit for a half day or so and then drain it. Repeat several times.

It's a good practice to only open the black valve when you want to dump. Leave it closed most of the time to allow sufficient fluid to soften the solids and then float them away from under the toilet drain pipe. Adequate fluid in the black tank also helps to move out the solids when you do dump.

There are several other recent threads about the black tank problem. They contain more detail about solving it and preventing it.

As for the owner's manual, we all recognize that the Keystone manual is generic and very short on detail. Our forum here contains more valuable information than the manual ever could. I recommend reading over as much as possibly can. Many of the older threads are virtual goldmines of information.

oldfrog
07-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Glad to see I wasn't the only one with reversed labeling on my new Loredo, but you know what? It didn't take long to figure out & this was the easiest fix of any problem I've ever had.

michol02
07-30-2012, 04:45 AM
Relabeled mine last week.

hankaye
07-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Howdy All;

Puzzle solved !!!

Keystone has pourposely mis-labled the valves.
Reason ...
So that when those miscreatiants that
enjoy 'pranks' pull the Black handle (as marked),
while you are at a fuel stop or taking a break from
driving, so you'll have a mess on your hands (kinda
literialy), when you go to hook-up.... will only be pulling
the Gray valve....

hankaye

Big Boy w/ Big Toys
07-30-2012, 11:55 AM
If you have a solids problem in your blackwater tank, fill your tanks about 1/2 to 3/4 and then 5 or 6 bags of ice, enough ice that it just doesn't melt away, then go for a ride. The ice sloshing around will help break up the solids. So a nice twisty back road or a lot of city blocks with lots of left and right turns. Even a couple of good steep angled lot entries will help.

The Sod Father
07-30-2012, 12:40 PM
The above is a good suggestion but I would also add a hefty amount of laundry detergent to the cocktail to help liquify solids. Gross, I know.. but ARE talking about brown trout.