PDA

View Full Version : Tow vehicle and new tires.

club325
07-17-2013, 06:33 AM
Hello all. New to the forum and have ordered a Raptor 332 TS. We will hopefully take delivery at the beginning of August. My question is, does anyone pull this model or something similar with a 2009 Chevy 2500HD. Mine is a crew cab 2wd with Z71 package. If so, how does it pull? I plan on adding air bags. I currently own a KZ Durango fifth wheel that weighs approximately 9000 lbs. The new TH will weigh 13600 ish dry. I will also have a Polaris ranger 800XP in the garage that will add about 1300 lbs. I plan on immediately replacing the tires with LT tires. I may get G614's but have been looking at other tires in size 265/75/16 that are close in weight to the 3520 lb tires that come on the Raptor. These tires have a 3415 weight limit. Any opinions or experience would be appreciated.

CWtheMan
07-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Personally I think your new trailer is going to be way to heavy for your current tow vehicle. It’s not what the truck can tow, it’s how much weight can it hold? At what point will the truck become overloaded and just how far overloaded are you going to comfortable? Adding features to help offset the overloading just compounds the overloaded condition.

If you have not signed the papers for the new trailer you still have leverage with the manufacturer about tire selection. Personally I think the wide tires you mentioned would be very bad for the trailer’s suspension system. It’s a question for the vehicle manufacturer. If you’re going to have a long term commitment to this new trailer you should consider a very minimum optional upgrade to some LRG, 16” tires. When maintained properly they will last longer than marginal tires and they have a higher (75 MPH) speed limit than your OE tires (65 MPH).

CW

BeerCan
07-17-2013, 12:18 PM
I agree with CW on the wideness issue. Wider tires are not necessarily better on a trailer. Trailer tires move in lateral directions sometimes and to wide of a tire will cause issues. 235 is max I would go.

For replacement tires, some of us are using the Sailun S637 with good results so far. Cheaper than the GY and IMO just as good http://www.gosailun.com/Tires/Sailun/All%20Position/335

SAABDOCTOR
07-17-2013, 12:27 PM
X3 with cwtheman If your not changing to wider rims you way over stress the side walls and if you change the wheelsand the offset you will damage the wheel bearings plus clearance issues on and on. stay with the recomended size and get a better quality tire!

Exsailor
07-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Im one for keeping with the factory sized tires and replacing
frequently with quality. Although i dont drink the Maxxis kool-
Aid. On the truck i will say that nothing is more uncomfortable
than towing with a lighter than needed truck. Its not what it
CAN tow, but what it should tow. I like a big truck and being
in control of my tow. My opinion.

Outbackmel
07-17-2013, 05:12 PM
I looked at 50 or more. Every fifth wheel hauler I "wanted" was thousands of pounds more than I thought my 2500 diesel Ram SHOULD HAUL. Did not want a dually, so I gave it up. :rolleyes:

It's more important to have the right towing rig than the "one you like the most". Like turns to despair and disappointment if not hooked to the right tow vehicle.

Have fun, tow safe

club325
07-18-2013, 05:41 AM
Thanks all for the replies. I have never actually joined a forum until yesterday and am amazed at the input received. Ya'll are great. I am definately going with the G rated tires now. As for TV, I am having one of my truck enforcement friends weigh my back axle before loading pin weight and will see where I come out. After checking specs, I am close. I will not be hauling the toy very often. It will mostly be trailer with maybe 10-25 gallons of water, and very light fuel in generator tank. Shore power is available at all places that we camp and I dont want a bunch of fuel sitting in my tank turning old and bad. I will let everyone know how it ends up.