PDA

View Full Version : Ditching the Tundra Maybe

BigBearWV
07-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Currently we are towing with a 2010 Tundra max cab 5.7L and are looking to go 3/4 ton. We live in the mountains and the best the Tundra gets as my daily driver is 12.5 mpg. Hook our 300KBS (11,000 gross) to it and look out. Sure it will pull it up an 18% grade at 70 mph but at 2.5 mpg. The 50 mile trip home from the dealer took 6.5+ gallons. Any advice would be appreciated.

sjturbo
07-16-2013, 08:52 PM
A few years back Toyota was considering a diesel powered truck. That would have been the truck to buy. Otherwise F250-350 or Duramax.

Festus2
07-16-2013, 08:54 PM
Sure it will pull it up an 18% grade at 70 mph but at 2.5 mpg. .

Not advice but a question....
Why would anyone want to try to pull an RV of that size and weight with what is essentially a 1/2T truck up an 18% grade at 70mph?

Bob Landry
07-17-2013, 03:48 AM
Why would anyone want to try to pull an RV of that size and weight with what is essentially a 1/2T truck up an 18% grade at 70mph?

I was wondering the same thing. My next question is why would you pull a trailer of that size at that speed on tires rated for 65 MPH?

The Tundra ia a very capable 1/2 ton.Mine pulled my 8000lb Outback at 10MPG/60MPH. I traded it for more payload, not towing issues or fuel economy.

BigBearWV
07-17-2013, 05:56 AM

Because I can (tx) honestly tho more so as a comparison of the MPH between the new TT and our old 26' TT. I am also a firm beliver that weight ratings and speed ratings on tires and trucks are low ball numbers and you easly have 10-15% fudge factor. In the area we live in we are 250 miles in any direction from flat land. So I am looking for something that will give us a better MPG in this hills.

Klute
07-17-2013, 06:36 AM
Because I can (tx) honestly tho more so as a comparison of the MPH between the new TT and our old 26' TT. I am also a firm beliver that weight ratings and speed ratings on tires and trucks are low ball numbers and you easly have 10-15% fudge factor. In the area we live in we are 250 miles in any direction from flat land. So I am looking for something that will give us a better MPG in this hills.

I would think the numbers are low for a reason. Sounds dangerous to me to try and tow anything above the stated limits. My concern is stopping the rig while going downhill not towing it uphill.

Good luck to you.

JRTJH
07-17-2013, 07:58 AM
Because I can (tx) ... I am also a firm beliver that weight ratings and speed ratings on tires and trucks are low ball numbers and you easly have 10-15% fudge factor. ...

So, are you saying that there's a "conspiracy" between the truck manufacturers and the RV manufacturers to conscientiously "low ball" the weights of RV's and the towing capacity of trucks? And that we can really calculate our rigs at 10-15% heavier than they recommend and still be safe? And that tire manufacturers put at 65MPH speed rating on tires, but it's really 10-15% faster? So we can actually tow at 71 - 75 MPH safely?

Bob Landry
07-17-2013, 08:11 AM

Do you have a source to validate your "fudge factor" theory, or is that an excuse to assume it's safe to push the limits. I think there are enough people on here that have experienced tire blowouts that would probably disagree with you.

f6bits
07-17-2013, 08:58 AM
Anyhow…someone suggested a 250 or Duramax. From what I've read here, those diesels can beat your Tundra in gas mileage across the board. And tow nicer.

BigBearWV
07-17-2013, 09:08 AM
No conspiracy just one mans opinion. But if you all would like I can post my plate number and pix of my truck and trailer combo so if you see me coming or going you can get safely out of my way!

Klute
07-17-2013, 11:05 AM
No conspiracy just one mans opinion. But if you all would like I can post my plate number and pix of my truck and trailer combo so if you see me coming or going you can get safely out of my way!

You might want to read up on the "Law of Negligence"...if you have an accident you may not be covered with your insurance.

Here's a nice article with alot of info:

http://www.dangeroustrailers.org/Towing_The_LIne.html

gwvwadc
07-17-2013, 01:54 PM

12.5 MPG for your daily drive? City or highway? I consistently get 17.5 to 18.5 from my Tundra with same engine.

Post your plate number, pix of the truck and trailer combo AND call when you are on the road. I really don't want to be anywhere near you. :eek:

2011 keystone
07-17-2013, 02:04 PM
Wow I think you hit the groups HOT button.
Anyway :wlcm: to the forum LOL.

Festus2
07-17-2013, 02:24 PM

Perhaps...... now its time to hit the COOL :cool: button.
Thank you.

chris199
07-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Started with a 2011 Tundra Dbl cab 4.6l......upgraded trailer...upgraded tow vehicle to 2012 Tundra Dbl cab 5.7l. Loved the Tundra. Turned out I was right at or over payload. Was really wanting a 2500 Duramax. Came across a GMC 3500 long bed crew cab SLE.....and bit the bullet. 3500 really Isnt that much more money than the 2500 but payload increase is substantial. Have the flexibility to go to a 5er if we want. Towing difference is amazing. Getting 12.5 mpg towing and getting better. Use cruise and it doesnt shift going up most hills. Get 17 mpg now...highway and town. Tundra was 9 mpg towing and maybe even 14 around town.

I love my 3500 now.... much more peace of mind. Still tow conservatively....more power isnt license for stupidity.....but I know I can move if/when I need to. No more squirrelly drifting on the highway or random bouncing when going over sewer grates in the right lane.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

BigBearWV
07-17-2013, 04:35 PM

I tend to have that affect on people...........

BigBearWV
07-17-2013, 04:45 PM
12.5 MPG for your daily drive? City or highway? I consistently get 17.5 to 18.5 from my Tundra with same engine.

Post your plate number, pix of the truck and trailer combo AND call when you are on the road. I really don't want to be anywhere near you. :eek:

What part of TN do you live in my guess is that is the difference in our average MPH. I am in a very rural area lots of mountains, some will call them hills but around here that's what we call them, it is the Mountain State after all. We live at close to 3,000' the closest Wal Mart is at 900' and 35 miles away.

BigBearWV
07-17-2013, 04:47 PM
Started with a 2011 Tundra Dbl cab 4.6l......upgraded trailer...upgraded tow vehicle to 2012 Tundra Dbl cab 5.7l. Loved the Tundra. Turned out I was right at or over payload. Was really wanting a 2500 Duramax. Came across a GMC 3500 long bed crew cab SLE.....and bit the bullet. 3500 really Isnt that much more money than the 2500 but payload increase is substantial. Have the flexibility to go to a 5er if we want. Towing difference is amazing. Getting 12.5 mpg towing and getting better. Use cruise and it doesnt shift going up most hills. Get 17 mpg now...highway and town. Tundra was 9 mpg towing and maybe even 14 around town.

I love my 3500 now.... much more peace of mind. Still tow conservatively....more power isnt license for stupidity.....but I know I can move if/when I need to. No more squirrelly drifting on the highway or random bouncing when going over sewer grates in the right lane.

What part of PA are you from? What kind of MPG are you getting?

chris199
07-18-2013, 09:03 AM
From SE Pa......

SAABDOCTOR
07-18-2013, 10:03 AM
DANG I WAS JUST GETTIN INTO THAT CONSPEARICY THING AND NOW YOU ALL WANT TO HIT THE COOL OFF BUTTON! AS Cartman from southpark would say " you guys su*k I'm going home" That said Dude slow down or do it on a lonely rd so you don't take out an innocent family.