PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for shocks

Phermenter
06-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Hey there. I'm needing to replace the shocks on my Dodge Ram. I pull a Montana Mountaineer 5vr, that's at about 12,500 lbs wet. I already have air bags.

I'm just looking for what's worked for you, pulling something similar.

Mike
2004 Dodge Ram DRW
AFE Intake
Edge chipped

2005 Montana Mountaineer - Portable Ski Chalet

rhagfo
06-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Bilstien 5100's all the way around smoothed me out nicely. I don't have or need bags.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_80737_0_ad18fe3dd903faf909c4e27801387243.jpg

Phermenter
06-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Thank you Russ & Paula!

Mike

BlindGuyNAR
06-04-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm going with rancho 9000xl's. Haven't got them yet so can't say how they work, but in case you weren't aware Rancho is running a $100 rebate through end of June if you buy 4.

Javi
06-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Just my opinion but based on having used both Blistens and Ranchos the Ranchos don't hold a candle to the Blistens

Corbin1357
06-05-2013, 06:51 AM
I run the Rancho 9000xl and love them! They adjust so if you don't tow all the time you can set them to what your needs are. I've had them for about a year now and still loving them!

hankpage
06-05-2013, 07:38 AM
I have used both on my trucks since the early '70s and keep coming back to Bilstein. You also have to realize that air-bags will limit the effectiveness of your rear shocks by limiting the travel of suspension. Ask me how I know this. (See sig.) Trying to find a happy medium between a loaded truck and a Sunday drive is tough but I still vote Bilstein. JM2¢, Hank

dankent
06-05-2013, 08:12 AM
i had the 5100's in my last truck. I will say i like them and they preformed well .. but i have nothing else to compare them too.

ls1mike
06-06-2013, 09:25 PM
I just put some KYB Mono Max on my truck. I pull a travel trailer, but they eliminated all of my porpising.

BeerCan
06-07-2013, 05:39 AM
Bilstein or Fox

Phermenter
06-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I have Rancho 9000's on now, but they have over 50K on them, and just don't seem to do the dampening like they used to... And it got to be a bit of a pain reaching and turning them up or down, to tell the truth.

I'll look into the shocks you all have recommended, pick one, and when I have them installed, I will report back!

Mike

Phermenter
06-17-2013, 07:59 AM
Hello,

Following up, as promised. I ordered and installed the Bilstein 5100's. Installation on the front went as expected, with no issues.

The rear was a different story. I found that the upper mounts for the rear shocks were blocked by the frame mounts for the 5th wheel hitch. So while it wasn't rocket science, I did have to dis-assemble some on the hitch mounting rails. Other than that, no issues.

If I still have an account on this forum after the next tow, I'll report back.

Mike

Clanton24v
06-17-2013, 08:58 AM
How's the ride after the 5100's?

Phermenter
06-19-2013, 08:36 AM
I've not pulled the trailer yet, but the truck seems to ride the same.

Clanton24v
06-19-2013, 08:43 AM
Good to know

Riverbound
06-21-2013, 07:03 PM
I had rancho 9000s and Bilstein 5100s on this truck. Bilsteins are by far the better shock

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlindGuyNAR
06-30-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm going with rancho 9000xl's. Haven't got them yet so can't say how they work, but in case you weren't aware Rancho is running a $100 rebate through end of June if you buy 4.

Well I got to thinking I don't really want to crawl under truck to adjust the rancho's all the time. I know it's quick, but I'm also lazy! i also heard you have to take apart and clean the adjustment knob every so often. I just assume I'd want to leave and it would need cleaned and delay me.

So i got the 5100's and although I don't have the 9000xl's to compare with they are much better than the rancho's that came factory with my FX4 package. Much more dampening force!! Giving up some adjustablity, but no worries.

Install was quick and I thought easier than removal of old shocks. So easy a blind guy could do it ... Oh wait one just did;)

Next trip is to IOWA for RAGBRAI at the end of July.

Phermenter
07-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Follow up after the road test...

We took the trailer over 3 mountain passes last Friday on our way to eastern Washington, and 2 on Sunday on the way home. The shocks were just great. They handled the bumps in the road better than I expected. I could lie, and say I didn't even know that the trailer was back there, but that's just not true when pulling a 12K trailer. Still the porpoising after hitting bumps wasn't there, the truck and trailer settled as good as our family car.

Thanks for the recommendations, the Bilstein 5100's are great shocks!

Mike

rhagfo
07-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Glad you like them, I know they sure made a difference in my ride hitched up.

concours
08-11-2013, 07:19 AM
I wanted to give a quick review on OEM and Monroe Reflex Shocks, Our TV is a 2007 GMC 3500 HD LB with 42000 KM the shocks had no sign of leaks but I decided to unbolt the lower mount and do a function check the bottom line was they are worn out so I replaced them With 4 new Monroe Reflex. We have just done a trip from Kelowna BC to Oak Harbor WA and they have made a great improvement to the ride especially on that beautiful I5 surface lol

BeerCan
08-15-2013, 05:15 AM
I just recently replaced the shocks on my 2013 F350. It is not quite 6 months old and I have ~20k miles on it. Some of those miles are at max GCVWR.

I ended up getting a good deal on Rancho rs7000mt's I was choosing between these, fox and bilsteins. What really put it over the top was that everywhere on their website they make you feel like they are made in the USA. It is at the bottom of every page -- go look http://www.gorancho.com/

Guess what, not made in the USA. Sticker on the end of the box proclaims "Made in Canada". Don't get me wrong, I buy foreign stuff all the time, but when I have a choice I buy domestically. Basically I feel Rancho is duping people and this aggravates me more than most. I could have returned the shocks but my friend did me a favor and I don't want to be a jerk over country of manufacture BS. I might think about the 90 day ride guarantee however. Anyway /rant off

The shocks were pretty easy to replace, took me a little over an hour to do all 4. The ride seems better, not OMG better but a little more controlled. I will update as I get some miles on them.

Interesting to note that both of my rear shocks appeared to be leaking already. They were also very easy for me to collapse by hand, the Ranchos were much more difficult. Ford appears to be using pretty much junk shocks.

concours
08-15-2013, 08:27 AM
I guess we can only use recommendations from forums such as this one before we make purchases. I tend to avoid items made in China etc. but who really knows where products are really made and to what quality standards. Case in question many of our shocks that where supposedly made in the USA did not stand up to the job:banghead:

JRTJH
08-15-2013, 09:07 AM
Beercan,

The FX4 package on my new Superduty includes Rancho shocks as a factory installed item. There's no indication on the shocks as to where they were manufactured, but they were installed in Lexington KY on the assembly line.

It looks like Ford (along with Keystone and most others) uses "lowest bid" components in many of their products as standard items. There are 3 grades of Rancho shocks, I wonder which ones Ford installs in the FX4 package? Hmmmmm

concours
08-16-2013, 08:07 AM
I would think that if you could ever get the true answer to that question you would find that there are more than 3 grades. Life seems to be full of non stop upgrades.