PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to buy heavier tonnage plates

Dhuhn
05-28-2013, 10:29 AM
I was told by a neighbor I was camping by that i needed to buy heavier tonnage plates for my truck, Has anyone hear heard of this? I live in Washington state and I pull a 36 ft 5er GVW 12500.

Bugle Boy
05-28-2013, 10:37 AM
I suggest checking with your state DMV and find out the correct info yourself. Neighbor may not be that familiar with all the laws.

diugo
05-28-2013, 11:07 AM
I found this at https://wei.sos.wa.gov/county/whitman/en/licensing/Pages/FAQ.aspx

I Just Own a Pickup Truck, Why Do I Need A Scale Weight And Where Do I Get One?

All trucks in Washington, no matter how large or small, carry gross weight. Gross weight or tonnage is a combination of the weight of the truck plus its potential load. Tonnage is sold in 2000 lb increments beginning at 4000 lbs. For example, if your truck weighs 4600 lbs empty, and you want to carry 1/2 ton of firewood, you’d purchase 6000 lbs tonnage. This would leave you 400 lbs for yourself, your buddy and your gear.** Licensing fees for all trucks are based on this gross weight combination.* A truck coming into Washington from another State needs an empty scale weight reflected on the new title. Scale weight tickets are available at any certified scale, found at lumberyards, seed mills, or grain elevators. These are private businesses and may charge a fee for this service.

Ken / Claudia
05-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Oregon law is any truck/pickup that is at any time 10,000 lbs or heavier needs to pay for it's wt. and have a "T" plate which means truck. At 26,001 than it's a PUC plate paid for by mileage and wt..
If you have a F450 etc. used for pulling a RV it needs a truck plate. Most are licensed as a passenger car and get away with it due to few troppers having the knowledge about the law.