PDA

View Full Version : Portable Generator questions

MackDaddy
06-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Which gen do you have and pros and cons . I am wondering if I have the 15,000 BTU ducted a/c or the 13,500 BTU. I want to start looking for portable generators and would need the power to run the ac. Any suggestions ? If I dont have to shell out the 2k bucks for the honda's, that will help out. Also weight will be an issue. It will be carried in the bed of the pickup and I will be the principle mover. Are there any diesel models for a reasonable price?

Flyguy
06-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Here we go again with the generator thing! Everyone seems to love the Honda and it's a fine generator and quiet too but not all of us are independently wealthy, put two EU2000's together and you have about $2000 in generators, all I could afford is this lousy $300 4kw one with an RV 30amp plug on it, will run my entire TT, starts with one pull every time, weighs about 100lbs, and my wife and I lift it into the bed of the truck, and it suits my needs. OK Honda guys lets hear it.

MackDaddy
06-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Which brand do you use FlyGuy?

kenn209
06-22-2010, 03:59 PM
I am wondering if I have the 15,000 BTU ducted a/c or the 13,500 BTU.

If you have a Dometic, look at the model number under the vent, The go to their website and look at the catalog, Mine is 457915701 which equates to a 13.5 BTU, Even though the salesman told me it was a 15K unit. Was not too happy when I found this out.

http://www.dometic.com/f0493afb-4b19-459b-9a70-a6532be76248.fodoc

Been looking at this generator for a few months now.

http://www.amazon.com/Generac-5793-4-Stroke-Portable-Generator/dp/B002NKMG66/ref=sr_1_35?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1277251295&sr=1-35

Flyguy
06-22-2010, 07:47 PM
I use the Champion generator, not because it's best, but only because it's best for me, we camp in the national park very often where there are no hookups, their rules are no generator running during quiet hours (8pm to 8am), and they request that you run a generator for no more than 1 hr at a time outside of quiet hours (Honda or otherwise) so for what I use it for it suits my needs (I only want to recharge my batteries), solar panels would be nice but they aren't cheap either and are compromised on a cloudy rainy day. The info on what I use is found here: http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Generator/C46540%203500w%20RV%20Generator%20Manual.pdf

Terrydactile
06-23-2010, 03:35 AM
I use the Champion generator, not because it's best, but only because it's best for me, we camp in the national park very often where there are no hookups, their rules are no generator running during quiet hours (8pm to 8am), and they request that you run a generator for no more than 1 hr at a time outside of quiet hours (Honda or otherwise) so for what I use it for it suits my needs (I only want to recharge my batteries), solar panels would be nice but they aren't cheap either and are compromised on a cloudy rainy day. The info on what I use is found here: http://eaa1358.com/Passport/Generator/C46540%203500w%20RV%20Generator%20Manual.pdf

Good job catching the mistakes in the generator manual. Some significant mistakes too, I must say.:eek:

Flyguy
06-23-2010, 05:02 AM
Thanks Terry (darn those Chinese manuals), I also want to thank Kenn209 for bringing to light a way to check your AC for the BTU's (nice going Kenn); a salesman will say anything to make a sale! The generator that he's suggested also looks like a price that I might be able to afford and looks just as portable as the Honda, Kenn, are you using this generator now?

kenn209
06-23-2010, 07:54 AM
Haven't bought one yet, Still looking, I read the reviews for that one, and it people seem to be having issues with the choke lever breaking off during shipment. I also see that Honeywell makes a small generator.

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Honeywell-HW2000i/p2569.html

placergoldman
06-23-2010, 06:35 PM
I have had my Champion 4000 generator for almost two years,and it is just great..It might be a little noisier than the Honda but I paid less than $300.It runs my Passport 245RB with no problem..

Tim

MackDaddy
06-24-2010, 04:29 AM
Does the Champion have an inverter? I think that is the only way to go if you need to run any sensitive electronics.

Flyguy
06-24-2010, 04:40 AM
I don't know what you mean by an inverter; it puts out 120vac @ 30amps and also has a 12v outlet to charge a battery directly. It also has a steel lined cylinder even though it's an aluminum engine. The only inverter that I know of is in the trailer's power converter.

MackDaddy
06-24-2010, 04:46 AM
From my research, the portable inverter type generators produce pure power / perfect sine wave 120 vAC, like in your house, needed for todays microprocessors in electronic devices, ie tv,computers etc.

Flyguy
06-24-2010, 05:41 AM
I can't answer that question for you, however I did post a link to the manual for this generator in a previous post on this thread, look through it and see if it will answer your question. I run a 19" LCD tv in the trailer along with the DVD/CD/Radio player and have not had or noticed any problems.

Seann
06-28-2010, 05:56 AM

I too have the Champion.. I ordered the spark arrester kit from them, then welded an extension pipe onto the spark arrester then with some flexible pipe to a car muffler (cheapest one I could find) Made the gen very quiet. My boondocking buds are happy with it.

Flyguy
06-28-2010, 08:59 AM
I did think about that too, I would love to see pics posted of the mod! As of this date Cabela's is running a sale on the Champion generator for $279.99!! Don't know how long that will last, I paid $299.99 on sale about 3 years ago, here's the link to Cabela's: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0040261522130a&_requestid=87031

floydsheating
07-08-2010, 03:09 AM
i have a briggs and stratton 5500 watt generator that does really good ive had it for three years paid $850 for it new and its never let me down!:D

mack1roc
01-02-2011, 08:09 PM
my wife bought me a honeywell 2000 for my b-day. She payed 499 tax free on base and is worth every penny. I only go dry camping a few times a year and would always go with another camping couple that had two honda 2000's and would not require both so i would use one and he would use one (so thats what i have to compare this generator to). we can all go on the websites and compare the numbers, but speaking from experiance this generator ran the same exact way and sounded the same way. The only differance i can see is honeywell had bad reviews and the honda didn't. The honda would not start my ac unit(13,500) and the honeywell would. so i have no complaints here from the honeywell at all. Not only is it cheaper it has a higher max and continuious output rating and yes i promise sounds the same.

Seann
01-06-2011, 09:32 AM
I use a Champion as well for those gray days.. ( got solar)... I bought a small car muffler (regular not straight through) and had a muffler shop install some flex pipe from the Champion muffler to the car muffler... made it much quieter... now can also put a box over it (Larger than the gen) to further quiet it. had this setup for 3 years now...

jje1960
01-08-2011, 11:03 AM
Which gen do you have and pros and cons . I am wondering if I have the 15,000 BTU ducted a/c or the 13,500 BTU. I want to start looking for portable generators and would need the power to run the ac. Any suggestions ? If I dont have to shell out the 2k bucks for the honda's, that will help out. Also weight will be an issue. It will be carried in the bed of the pickup and I will be the principle mover. Are there any diesel models for a reasonable price?

I've had two up-2-this point, my small unit (which I'm not going to part with) is a 1k Mitsubishi this one I had mounted on my hitch of our TT, sipped gas like a miser and just hummed along keeping batt's charged for furnace, lights TV Sat receiver, and coffee maker in the morning. It's an inverter and always ran perfect and smooth. The second one is a harbor freight special, 2.6k. We always relied on this one for aircon day after day at Bristol's August race, one year it was like 107deg down there. It was so cheap I most likely won't part with that either, maybe I can make a few bucks during the next ice storm! Anyway, now that we moved to the SRX and the 15k aircon unit (will check under the cover....!) have to invest... Pretty much decided on the Boliy INVERTER PRO3600SiE+ W/ ELECTRIC START, it comes in at $1219.77 W/ FREE SHIPPING. Plenty of feedback that it runs the 15k and is like 70Ibs, so will mount it on the back with a slide out shelf close to the shore plug. I went back and forth with putting out for 2 Honda's, but when I went to camping world they said Honda 2k's may or may not run the 15k aircon. Not about to spend that kind of cash and not have aircon running.... go way to get put in the dog house with the wife for considerable amount of time....:(