PDA

View Full Version : new TV

tomsws6
03-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Well, its a sad day... I am now a non denali member... Some of you may remember the threads I had about towing and well, I decided to get a diesel.... Couldn't swing a new one because of the budget but they are so so so nice... I also drifted away from the GM family which is a major first for me so Im in uncharted territory. It was just too good of a deal to pass up on and the dealership worked with us very well and it fit the bill so to speak. Before I go into this I really wish GM would have made a change... Its no secret that the hd truck interior's are the smallest on the market for HD's and that was the selling point for me.. I really wanted a Dmax but every time I found one I would get into the back seat and it was so cramped. I hope the do something about that in the future because that is a big deal with alot of people going into the HD market. Anyway I got into the back seat of this truck with the front seat were I positioned it and I still had a good 12 inches before I would touch the front seat.

Enough rambling... Its a 2006 F350 King Ranch CC with only, and this was a major piece in the decision of buying a 6.0, 37k miles and should have no issue pulling my 10k camper... And for the price I wouldnt get anywere near the cummins I would want.

Not the best cause I taken them with my phone.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_70171_0_22f16a2c96ec456d5887c934a248e16a.jpg

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_70171_1_4a9b3551fd2f83620e3f26be90414b68.jpg

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_70171_2_5dbb6352d7ba4219c34753daee357fac.jpg

440justin
03-28-2013, 04:36 PM
Nice truck!

Not to scare you but I thought I would pass along this article that was in Diesel Power some time back that has a nice table of common problems and solutions for the PowerStroke 6.0L since they are known to have some problems, but over all they are a good engine and there are lots of them out there.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0907dp_6_0l_ford_power_stroke_engine/viewall.html

tomsws6
03-28-2013, 04:38 PM
Yeah, Im gonna need to delete the egr, get head studs, oil cooler and I believe something with the fuel system. Blue spring maybe? BTW thanks for the link!!!

labs4life
03-28-2013, 04:43 PM
I found a 6.0 ps for a steal I was gonna buy from a local dealership. Bought several vehicles there over the years. It sold in 4 hours after trade in. Been looking for something since December, but wound up buying a close out 2012 with a 6.7.

Congrats on the new ride, it will serve u well. Ain't that super duty room nice!!!!!

davidcyndi
03-28-2013, 04:45 PM
Yeah, Im gonna need to delete the egr, get head studs, oil cooler and I believe something with the fuel system. Blue spring maybe? BTW thanks for the link!!!

Congrats on the new tv. And nice to see you did your homework on the f350. I heard the egr delete is the biggest one to fix.

tomsws6
03-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Congrats on the new tv. And nice to see you did your homework on the f350. I heard the egr delete is the biggest one to fix.

Funny thing is we just did one on a friends. It is a big job but since the cab was off the egr. head studs and the oil cooler were changed. 3 guys took about 8hrs total. Its only a couple bolts to get the cab off. He had a cracked head so they were replaced too. So if I have issues I have a couple friends and family that have worked on them. I also got a 2yr warranty so thatll help too.

Labs4life: That was the biggest selling point for us. Everytime we go camping the back seat is always full with 2kids and a relative of some sort. Honestly I wouldnt have minded a megacab but were out of this world for something comparable.

Festus2
03-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Everytime we go camping the back seat is always full with 2kids and a relative of some sort. .

Do you mean your mother-in-law? :D

tomsws6
03-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Do you mean your mother-in-law? :D

Um..........uh.................:o

Lol, yeah or a niece or nephew. Its great actually. Its really the only time we have all the family out and most of the family has campers!"bouncey:

Yak
03-28-2013, 05:13 PM
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_70203_0_601150335e9dfa00411c4de6b42d0e54.jpg

tomsws6
03-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Nice, looked like an interesting day

Cougarfamily
03-28-2013, 07:02 PM

Sweet Truck!

Are you planning on putting a chip in it? If not, you shouldn't have to worry about the head studs. Make sure the coolant is in good condition, and change oil @ 5,000. Would recomend adding a coolant filter, since it would also help protect the oil cooler. Don't baby it, and don't idle excessively.

As long as you treat it right, it should serve you well. Pulls very strong and is a real workhorse. Have not regretted at all trading our '06 CTD for ours.

sagebel
03-28-2013, 08:55 PM
I'll second what cougarfamily said. Run it. Many of the 6.0 trucks with issues weren't driven hard. If you can avoid using it as a grocery getter it will help.

TandE
03-28-2013, 10:23 PM
I love my 6.0 145k miles and the only issue I have had was the #8 injector started failing although it may be they control module for them.

I did do the egr delete right after I got it and flushed the coolant and changed the oil cooler. That was at 109k miles and at 115k it has been tuned with a custom tune from Matt at gear head automotive. So for 30k miles no problems with the heads or factory head bolts.

I know these engines have problems but a lot has to do with the Internet spreading more of the bad than good. So many of these trucks are on the road and a lot of them have has little to no problems. Just goes to show you the concept of if you have a good experience with something you don't really talk about it but if you have a bad experience you seem to tell a lot of people.

labs4life
03-29-2013, 04:14 AM
So many of these trucks are on the road and a lot of them have has little to no problems. Just goes to show you the concept of if you have a good experience with something you don't really talk about it but if you have a bad experience you seem to tell a lot of people.

That is the problem with World Wide Web!!! Only the bad gets told to everyone. There are tons are 6.0s that have never had a wrench turned on them. What that number is, I have no idea.

lightning79
03-29-2013, 03:18 PM
Nice TV! That'll certainly move that trailer.

DK Henry
03-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Nice truck! We have a 2000 F-250 7.3 power stroke with 280000 miles on it. It has been a great truck!! We have a new camper on order and looking at the 2013 F-350 diesel dw. Does anyone know much about the 2013 models?

TandE
03-29-2013, 04:58 PM
My dad has a 2012 350 and loves it more than his 08 6.4 250. More power, quieter. I drove it once and I will definitely upgrade to one in the future. The only problem I have heard on the new ones was the turbo's (haven't been following them that much just what I heard about 6 months ago) but if that is it so far ford has done well with their new in house engine.

DK Henry
03-29-2013, 05:05 PM
The noise is one thing I will not miss with my 7.3. What is your father pulling?

game warden
03-29-2013, 05:33 PM
You will love the 6.7 .....towes like no ones business an is soooo quiet.Good fuel mpg`s too.

f6bits
03-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Not a sad day at all. Then again, I'm not particularly brand-loyal nor sentimental about old cars. That Sprinter's GVWR is 10k? Oh my!

Oh, and that *is* nice picture. You could take pictures of that truck with an Etch-a-Sketch and it'd still look impressive.

Just for kicks, I want to test drive a diesel (and an Ecoboost F150) next time I go shopping for a new car for my wife.

TandE
03-29-2013, 06:44 PM
The noise is one thing I will not miss with my 7.3. What is your father pulling?

He is pulling a 33' or 39' cougar 5er. That was one thing my mom said to him about a diesel is that they were loud she liked the 6.4 being quiet but says the 6.7 is quieter and feels like a more comfortable ride.

cmssorrell
03-30-2013, 03:12 AM
Nice truck.

Mark

muddynoll
03-30-2013, 04:34 AM
Congratulations! I did the same thing last year. I found an 04 F350 with 20K miles for a real good price. I used to be a GM guy too until they took my tax dollars to bail themselves out. People are afraid of the 6.0 but they are a good engine if you treat them right. It is a great tow vehicle , you won't be disappointed.

NMRVer
03-30-2013, 10:22 PM
Nice truck!

Not to scare you but I thought I would pass along this article that was in Diesel Power some time back that has a nice table of common problems and solutions for the PowerStroke 6.0L since they are known to have some problems, but over all they are a good engine and there are lots of them out there.

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/0907dp_6_0l_ford_power_stroke_engine/viewall.html

Nice truck, you're like it.
I bought a 2004 lariat and installed the bulletproof diesel oil kit with the upgraded EGR cooler, and haven't had a problem since. 6.0L has a bad rep, but with a few upgrades, they are dependable. Research before spending, I didn't want to experience the plugged oil cooler again so I spent the money to remove the faulty Ford design. Also "Avoid tuners", they overpressure the cylinders. My 2c.

tomsws6
03-31-2013, 06:31 AM
Not a sad day at all. Then again, I'm not particularly brand-loyal nor sentimental about old cars. That Sprinter's GVWR is 10k? Oh my!

Oh, and that *is* nice picture. You could take pictures of that truck with an Etch-a-Sketch and it'd still look impressive.

Just for kicks, I want to test drive a diesel (and an Ecoboost F150) next time I go shopping for a new car for my wife.

Thanks everyone! The sprinter is a 323bhs and Keystone says dry weight is 8700 but I had it weighed and it was well into the 9's so loaded I figure around 10k or so. Im actually hooking it up right now to do a dry run to get the feel of it.