PDA

View Full Version : Reporting Tire Issues to the NHTSA

Me.Bikes.Dogs
03-19-2013, 09:01 AM
I know many RV owners complain about tires and have experienced blowouts. I'm wondering how many of us have actually filed a complaint with the NHTSA so they have data to work with. We can't expect them to get involved if we don't let them know the problems we are having. Here are three links to help you should you want to file a complaint:

Tire Autopsy (http://www.rvtiresafety.com/search/label/Blowout)
What to report to the NHTSA (http://www.rvtiresafety.com/2012/12/why-dont-rv-tires-get-recalled.html)
NHTSA Tire Complaint Form (https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/online.cfm)

This is a great site to learn more about RV Tires (I'm not associated with them): rvtiresafety.com (http://www.rvtiresafety.com/)

BeerCan
03-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Great post, should be sticky. It always makes me scratch my head when people complain online about "China Bombs" and then never report them so the NHTSA can be aware of issues. Honestly I think the reason that most people do not report is that they are unaware that they should.

Eyegasmdesigns
06-07-2015, 03:02 PM
Kent would love to chat with you more about your tire issues I have had my Raptor 300MP for under 3 years and have blow 2 tires now. I always have them
Properly inflated cold at 80psi and I blew the right front in October of 2014 and the left front yesterday. My camper stays parked on a concrete slab when not in use and moved and used monthly. So no dry rot no visible issues when checked before or at any point during a trip. I would say the tires have maybe 6-7k miles on them if that. I am curious as to what you had blow ( ie location of the tire on the trailer) and what brand tire. I had Power Kings. I and wondering if this is a tire issue or a design flaw with the 300MP that keystone is responsible for. You are more than welcome to send me a PM.

bsmith0404
06-07-2015, 03:10 PM
Kent would love to chat with you more about your tire issues I have had my Raptor 300MP for under 3 years and have blow 2 tires now. I always have them
Properly inflated cold at 80psi and I blew the right front in October of 2014 and the left front yesterday. My camper stays parked on a concrete slab when not in use and moved and used monthly. So no dry rot no visible issues when checked before or at any point during a trip. I would say the tires have maybe 6-7k miles on them if that. I am curious as to what you had blow ( ie location of the tire on the trailer) and what brand tire. I had Power Kings. I and wondering if this is a tire issue or a design flaw with the 300MP that keystone is responsible for. You are more than welcome to send me a PM.

Just out of curiosity, is your trailer level when towing or possibly slightly nose down? Also, how much weight do you have in the front and basement storage? I wonder if the front axle is getting loaded heavier than the others. Normally when you blow one tire, they recommend changing all tires on that side since the others pick up all of the weight and could be damaged, but the same concern could apply to tires on the same axle. That could explain the other front tire blowing on you after the first one. Have you ever weighed each axle. In your case, maybe get a weight of the front axle separate from the other two.

Eyegasmdesigns
06-07-2015, 03:28 PM
I have not weighed the axles the trailer sits level and the compartment for the front is very small because this unit is self contained and has the generator in the front. So the compartment has the power cord and hoses, 3 collapsible chairs and fold up table and an empty cooler. Maybe 250lbs max if that. I only replaced the tired that was damaged as I was able to get to the side of the road and change it within 100 feet of the blowout. I have read that these power kings are a problem at this point I am looking at replacing the trailer with another manufacturer product because of this issue

Eyegasmdesigns
06-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Also this is a 2 axle trailer I am woundering if it should have been 3 because gross is 16500 not that is have ever been even close to that

Ken / Claudia
06-08-2015, 10:31 AM
Good post. Everyone with any type of trailer could learn from the #1 tire autopsy. Which I did not read every word but, understood what he was saying.
Bottom line is tires failure for perhaps hundreds of reasons and until someone does a investigation into the failure we do not know why. While on patrol I have had to many flats to number and just get them changed out. About 10 blow outs, one at over 100mph. Again those tires just got replaced without any investigation. My personal and current TV has had 2 rear tire blow outs on the highway while towing. Looking at what was left it was clear the valve stems failed not the tire. Thats when I learned about full metal stems for heavy loads instead of rubber. I do believe people buying other tires than what they came with is a good idea because when I think about every vehicle I purchased with the factory tires and I replaced them with better tires.

bsmith0404
06-08-2015, 12:34 PM
I have not weighed the axles the trailer sits level and the compartment for the front is very small because this unit is self contained and has the generator in the front. So the compartment has the power cord and hoses, 3 collapsible chairs and fold up table and an empty cooler. Maybe 250lbs max if that. I only replaced the tired that was damaged as I was able to get to the side of the road and change it within 100 feet of the blowout. I have read that these power kings are a problem at this point I am looking at replacing the trailer with another manufacturer product because of this issue

Doubt you'll have much different of an experience with another manufacturer. They all seem to have their issues with a few exceptions. I will say the Jaycos I've been transporting seem to have very nice tires on them, (can't recall the brand off the top of my head) but they seem to be in the same area of capacity vs trailer weight as the others.

Also this is a 2 axle trailer I am woundering if it should have been 3 because gross is 16500 not that is have ever been even close to that

What is the load range on your tires? I can't imagine that you have E range tires on a 16,500 trailer, but the only G option I'm aware of from Keystone is the Goodyear so I'm assuming E. That is a lot of weight on 4 E tires, my 15,500 was almost maxed.

cb1000rider
06-08-2015, 12:51 PM
And here is the place to look for submitted complaints on tires - might influence buying decisions:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues (select tires from the left hand side)

Ken / Claudia
06-08-2015, 06:04 PM
I went to the tire complaint form and looked up GY marathon, they list 97 complaints. I than went to Power King, tow max tires. They had listed 57 complaints. Either had any investigations listed. Most information said while towing tire blew up. Some listed speeds and mileage. One guy said his TPMS alerted as the tire blew up, not before. Many said as we know what happens when one tire blows after awhile another one on the same side blew. Likely due to the later been overloaded while the other tire blew. Really hard to find any pattern unless someone wants to read thru all the data. Only a few list the DOT numbers and only one I found listed the build date. For me the data just raised more questions and few answers. It reminds me how important tire inspections are and even than we may not find all the problems until a failure.